Anyone using a Sony a6700 for travel?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I am looking for some advice. My wife and I travel with groups that are not photography focused. For many years I carried a couple of point and shoot Canon cameras. Now that I’m hooked on bird photograph, I like to take a camera that is capable of getting some decent shots of birds and animals, but small and light enough to fit I’m my carry on (along with “Meds” and other necessities required by an old man). I packed my Z8 with the 100-400, along with my Z6ll and 24-200 for Africa, and it made for a heavy carry on. Fortunately, I was able to persuade our guide to carry my bag on the aircraft, thus working around the weight restrictions.

However, I’d like a smaller, lighter kit. Ive been shooting Sony gear recently, and tried the Sony 70-350 cropped sensor lens on my a1 and found it works pretty well. The lens is tiny and gets you out to 500+ mm in crop mode. So my question is this: Has anyone tried the Sony a6700 body and what do you think about the view finder and rear screen. I hear the viewfinder and screen are not good. But, if people are satisfied with the a6700, I’d pick one up and take the a6700, 70-350, and 16-55 on my next trip… and feel a bit more comfortable around the rest of the tour group who are using mobile phones for photography.

I'm not interested in adding another system like a micro 4/3rd, just hoping that someone has had success with a a6700.

I haven’t personally used one but have been considering it as an option for a lightweight travel camera. It seems like a bargain overall and the only complaints I’ve seen are the EVF, LCD screen being lower quality, single card slot, and not the fastest burst speeds. I’ve heard some people say the AF performs better than the A1. My hesitation is I don’t own Sony gear so need to add the lenses for it as well. Also, soon as I buy it Nikon would release a competitive version.

Steven has a thread you may have missed on it.
Thread 'Sony A6700'
https://bcgforums.com/threads/sony-a6700.34572/

I purchased one a couple weeks ago and have nothing but good to say about it. First off it uses the same battery as the full frame cameras, which is nice. The auto focus in some areas is even better than my A1 and shoots 11 frames per second which is plenty enough for most things that I shoot, it is super light, has amazing auto focus, and there are tons of lenses available for it. I am using my full frame small primes and zooms with it. If I had only one thing to say bad about it, it would be. I wish it had one more custom button , but other than that, I think it’s just about a perfect travel camera. I own an A1 and A7RV and I don’t miss a thing when using this little body. I did get the V90 card because of video but it isn’t necessary if you’re just mainly using it for photos. I thought the rangefinder you find her being off to the side would be awkward, but I don’t even notice it when I’m using it. I posted a few images on here over the last couple weeks in the macro section that have been taken with the camera and I personally think the image quality is fantastic.

I purchased one a couple weeks ago and have nothing but good to say about it. First off it uses the same battery as the full frame cameras, which is nice. The auto focus in some areas is even better than my A1 and shoots 11 frames per second which is plenty enough for most things that I shoot, it is super light, has amazing auto focus, and there are tons of lenses available for it. I am using my full frame small primes and zooms with it. If I had only one thing to say bad about it, it would be. I wish it had one more custom button , but other than that, I think it’s just about a perfect travel camera. I own an A1 and A7RV and I don’t miss a thing when using this little body. I did get the V90 card because of video but it isn’t necessary if you’re just mainly using it for photos. I thought the rangefinder you find her being off to the side would be awkward, but I don’t even notice it when I’m using it. I posted a few images on here over the last couple weeks in the macro section that have been taken with the camera and I personally think the image quality is fantastic.
Thank you for the feedback.

FWIW, I’ve been using a Sony a6300 for several years as a light weight travel, hiking, mountaineering, nordic skiing and rock climbing camera. I’ve captured a bit of wildlife with it and many scenics, landscapes and outdoor sports photos. It’s a great, small, crop sensor camera that delivers great results. I’m sure the newer versions are even better.

Back