Are large tripods even necessary anymore?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

sh1209

Supporting Member
Marketplace
With the move to mirrorless we've had substantial weight and size reduction in our gear. Having said that, in the past I used my larger tripod far more often than I do now due to a heavier kit. I have four tripods now and for the last 3-4 years, I hardly ever take my TC34L RRS tripod out. I also have a series 2 Gitzo with center column which is a must for macro photography. I have a couple mini tripods I use occasionally but use the Gitzo far more than all of them. The small series 2 handles my 600f/4 and gimbal with ease, even carrying it attached. Most of the time when using larger lenses I remove the center column for added stability. Just wondering if others are finding they're using their large tripods less after transitioning to mirrorless?

Just wondering if others are finding they're using their large tripods less after transitioning to mirrorless?
Sure, I've got my 600mm f/4 on a tripod about 95% of the time with only short periods of hand holding. I also do all of my astrophotography with gear mounted on a tripod as well as most low light photography. A tripod is also super handy when doing things like monitoring activity at a nest waiting for birds to fly in with food or the chicks to wake up and move around where hand holding longer lenses for extended periods would be tiring and difficult to stay ready.

I do agree for some of that a lighter tripod and modern high ISO as well as VR capabilities can work but I still appreciate having a rock solid tripod and not having to rely on faster shutter speeds or hoping VR does it's job on a shakier tripod.

Well, my mirrorless kit of bodies and lenses weighs almost the same as my DSLR gear "back in the day". The 600mm f4 has lost 1-2 lbs, but that's about it for weight loss.

I still use my RRS TVC 24L for all my tripod work. I did recently get the Jobu Jr 3 Delux gimbal to save 1.5 lbs off my Wimberley gimbal.

I haven't used a tripod in over 5 years other than for video. Most probably know by now i only shoot wildlife now so I've been hand holding the D500/D850 with the 500PF then the Z9 with the 500PF ava now the Z9 with the 800PF.

With the 800PF i will occasionally use a monopod with a Wimberley Monogimbal if I'm hunkered down in a spot for an extend period but that's about it. I'd say I'm totally handheld about 80% of the time.

The light weight if the Nikon gear makes a tripod completely obsolete for me. I can hand hold and track up to about 1.5 minutes, 2 min if I'm sitting and bracing.

I haven't used a tripod in over 5 years other than for video. Most probably know by now i only shoot wildlife now so I've been hand holding the D500/D850 with the 500PF then the Z9 with the 500PF ava now the Z9 with the 800PF.

With the 800PF i will occasionally use a monopod with a Wimberley Monogimbal if I'm hunkered down in a spot for an extend period but that's about it. I'd say I'm totally handheld about 80% of the time.

The light weight is the Nikon gear makes a tripod completely obsolete for me. I can hand hold and track up to about 1.5 minutes, 2 min if I'm sitting and bracing.
Yeah I have a series 4 gitzo monopod and love using that. Thats mostly what I use in the winter while hiking. I just hate carrying a tripod around anymore, especially when I plan on going long distances.

Yeah I have a series 4 gitzo monopod and love using that. Thats mostly what I use in the winter while hiking. I just hate carrying a tripod around anymore, especially when I plan on going long distances.
I hear you on that. I have a carabineer on my monopod and hook that to the part of my shoulder strap that goes under my arm. It stays nice and tight to me there so it's not in the way at all while walking.

My tripod is a Sirui 3004 with 34mm legs. It's super sturdy for video but i don't hike with that, i have places i go that I know I'm going for video. Otherwise I'll hand hold for video. The VR/ibis combo of the Z9+Z800mm is crazy good. I have even hand hold that pretty well in 4k 120p in crop mode for a 2.3x crop at 1840mm equivalent FOV

I hear you on that. I have a carabineer on my monopod and hook that to the part of my shoulder strap that goes under my arm. It stays nice and tight to me there so it's not in the way at all while walking.

My tripod is a Sirui 3004 with 34mm legs. It's super sturdy for video but i don't hike with that, i have places i go that I know I'm going for video. Otherwise I'll hand hold for video. The VR/ibis combo of the Z9+Z800mm is crazy good. I have even hand hold that pretty well in 4k 120p in crop mode for a 2.3x crop at 1840mm equivalent FOV
I can handhold or use the monopod for video if 400mm or less. Anything above that is pretty much a no go for me, but I also have injuries to both of my arms which complicates things. It is amazing how well the IS works on modern camera bodies.

It depends - when I want very precise framing perhaps in architecture then a tripod and VR off I continue to find to be the best option.

For wildlife in-lens VR on Z telephoto lenses is often enough - without the burden of carrying a tripod.

For landscape with telephotos when waiting for the right light a tripod and cable release reduces arm fatigue.

Overall though as IBIS becomes increasingly capable I use tripods less.

It depends - when I want very precise framing perhaps in architecture then a tripod and VR off I continue to find to be the best option.

For wildlife in-lens VR on Z telephoto lenses is often enough - without the burden of carrying a tripod.

For landscape with telephotos when waiting for the right light a tripod and cable release reduces arm fatigue.

Overall though as IBIS becomes increasingly capable I use tripods less.
Pretty much my thoughts as well. I’m just surprised how well the series 2 gitzo does even with the 600f/4 Sony lens. I wouldn’t have dreamed of putting a dslr and 600 on there but if I use my little 8 pound sandbag on that tripod, it is rocksolid and honestly pretty darn solid even without extra weight. I probably don’t take my larger tripod out more than 10 times a year now.

I contemplated a series 5 Gitzo tripod several years ago before buying the RRS tripod, but I cannot imagine anything needing a series 5 Gitzo, at least in the mirrorless world. I usually take my larger RRS whenever I’m driving somewhere to photograph a certain thing and not going to be liking.

I have a gitzo systematic 3 series with a benro gimbal mount for my regular stuff or when I know I’ll be in a hide. I also have an induro cf tripod with a kirk bh-1 for travel since it’s a lot smaller to pack. Are the days of big tripods over? I don’t think so. Equipment is lighter but the need for stability is still there. I also think that the larger tripods help with uneven ground and for unexpected loads. It’s not uncommon for me to hang my camera bag on the tripod to give it even more stability. Interestingly, I use my tripods more after moving to the Z series than before.

I think a lot of it depends on our learned interaction with the equipment. I spend most of my time in a studio, and the camera is always mounted on a 200lb camera stand. When I'm in the field, it's almost always on a heavy duty tripod. Is it needed, probably not. But I feel lost without it.

I think a lot of it depends on our learned interaction with the equipment. I spend most of my time in a studio, and the camera is always mounted on a 200lb camera stand. When I'm in the field, it's almost always on a heavy duty tripod. Is it needed, probably not. But I feel lost without it.
You have some specialized circumstances I would imagine. I am guessing you film for hours at times, which would really be near impossible without some good support. I find I get fatigued after a couple minutes of trying to handhold for video at times.

You have some specialized circumstances I would imagine. I am guessing you film for hours at times, which would really be near impossible without some good support. I find I get fatigued after a couple minutes of trying to handhold for video at times.
Yes, for video you pretty much have to, as stabilization either in camera or post is imperfect and also crops the image. But I use it for stills as well.

I have a "large" tripod. I use it primarily when doing head/shoulder shots of people for example staff at local churches, deacons, etc. I use it the I'm going to be in a group shot (i.e. family group photos, holidays with family, etc.). I rarely use it for wildlife and nature photography. I'm usually on the move and rarely stand in one spot of any great length of time. I have used it when photographing a distant raptor nest where I may stand for an hour or more waiting for the adults to bring prey to the nest. I have used it a few times when I'm going to be in a hide for a length of time. Otherwise, for my photography, it tends to be extra stuff to carry around with me.

I sometimes use a monopod and the monopod can serve as a "walking stick" on uneven terrain.

I'm probably not the best person to say if they are still necessary as I do not use them enough.

Jeff

Back