Are M1/M2 processors not optimized for LrC Denoise AI?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

pvindis

I have an iMac M1 (16 GB ram and 512 GB ssd) where LrC and PS run like a dream. Now Denoise AI has arrived and I am disappointed.
I think more than 1:45 minute is a very long time to denoise a photo (45 mpx photo). In Topaz Denoise AI it takes under 20 seconds. In LR it takes just over 2 minutes. In PS same time as LrC.
Anyone else with M1/M2 processors find it too slow?
(People with Intel processors praise the speed).

I have an iMac M1 (16 GB ram and 512 GB ssd) where LrC and PS run like a dream. Now Denoise AI has arrived and I am disappointed.
I think more than 1:45 minute is a very long time to denoise a photo (45 mpx photo). In Topaz Denoise AI it takes under 20 seconds. In LR it takes just over 2 minutes. In PS same time as LrC.
Anyone else with M1/M2 processors find it too slow?
(People with Intel processors praise the speed).
14 seconds on my M1 MBP.

I don’t use Lightroom, but I do use Topaz DeNoise AI and Sharpen AI. However, they are used only as a plugin in Capture One. When I want to ‘send’ DeNoise a Nikon NEF raw file (45 mp), it creates a TIFF version of the NEF file and then sends that TIFF version which is quite large (about 200mb or more) To Topaz DeNoise. Does not matter if the original Nikon raw file was HE* or HE or Lossless Compressed.

My computer is an M1 14” MacBook Pro with only the very base processor but with 32gb of RAM. The aforementioned TIFF files from Capture One take on average 12 or 13 seconds until they’re done with the actual process. I do have to take a few extra seconds to choose how to send the file back to Capture One.

I have no knowledge of how Lightroom behaves (or should behave) with Apple Silicon. But it sounds like Lightroom is at the root of the problem. And I think the more RAM you have the faster Topaz will work.

When I was using my 4-5 year old Mac Pro, it took any of the Topaz AI programs (Denoise, Sharpen or Photo) used as a plug-in in Lightroom 1-2 minutes to render a photo.
Now with a new Mac Studio Ultra with 64GB or RAM, it takes about 15 seconds to render the same photo.

• 2023 MacBook Pro 16 — M2 Max chip
  • Canon R5 — 45 MP raw file; xxx.CR3
  • Denoise set at 50.
  • 18 seconds — tested on several files
The time taken was the same on both Lightroom Classic (LrC) and Lightroom (Lr).

Last edited:
Back