Article on bear attack in GTNP

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Viathelens

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Many of us photograph in Yellowstone and GTNPs so I thought this might be of interest. I just happened to come upon another article on the GTNP bear attack in May, the bear was most likely 399 but that was never confirmed to my knowledge. The article does state it was a bear with one older cub. I saw 399 in June with her older cub and got some nice close shots. The cub was pretty nervous about the crowd. There is apparently a special airing on August 25, see info below:

“Close Encounters: Tourists in the Wild” on The Whole Story with Anderson Cooper takes us to Yellowstone National Park, where visitors behaving badly can lead to dangerous encounters with bears, bison and more. It premieres Sunday, August 25, at 8 p.m. ET/PT on CNN.

A link to the CNN article on the attack:

https://www.cnn.com/travel/bear-attack-survival-grand-teton-shayne-burke/index.html

Never ceases to amaze me how many people refuse to give them space, and get attacked for it (and then act like they're the victim).

This one at least seems less ridiculous than most. Not so much his fault.

We buy a new can every couple years, but happily have never had to use it. They probably last past the expiration but don't intend to find out.

For some clarification on this, I was at Signal Mountain the day of the attack. The bear in the attack was not believed to be 399. While Shayne did a lot of things right he did two things wrong. He was by himself and he was off trail - not wise in bear country. Fortunately everything worked out for the best for both Shayne and the bears.

I just skim read it, so I don't know all the details, but the one thing that jumped out is they had a dog with them. I wonder if this was a contributing factor?

For some clarification on this, I was at Signal Mountain the day of the attack. The bear in the attack was not believed to be 399. While Shayne did a lot of things right he did two things wrong. He was by himself and he was off trail - not wise in bear country.

Agree he would have been much better off hiking with someone else but disagree about going off trail.

For some clarification on this, I was at Signal Mountain the day of the attack. The bear in the attack was not believed to be 399. While Shayne did a lot of things right he did two things wrong. He was by himself and he was off trail - not wise in bear country. Fortunately everything worked out for the best for both Shayne and the bears.

Thanks.

Back