Atlantic Puffin, Canada, island in the Mingan Archipelago National Park Reserve, on Île aux Perroquets (which actually means parakeet!)

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Viathelens

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Puffins fly as fast as 55 miles an hour, which can make it interesting to get a decent shot. According to the park website Puffins are a member of the penguin family. They generally mate for life and return to the same nesting site annually. They fly long distances to obtain sand-eels and capelins to feed their young, each pair only has one chick. They are on this island from mid-April to early September. The chicks fledge about two weeks after the parents leave them alone in the nest (the parents bulk them up for this two-week period), this according to the photographer guide I was with, and they fledge at night. The seals in the area are aware of this occasion and they feast on the "pufflings" in the water and only about 5% survive. I did get a puffling shot but it's not the greatest as the babies are hidden away in the greenery in burrows, or in this case in a box put there by activists. I'm actually finding it difficult to process some of these shots (and especially with the slightly foggy weather) and I'm still working on images.

CCassinettoPuffinFlight8-.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Back