Atlantic Walrus at Svalbard --- The World's largest pinniped.

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Gottshotz

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Pinnipeds are aquatic, carnivorous mammals with all four limbs modified into flippers ( also includes seals).
This female --- males have larger, heavier tusks and are much bigger --- was resting on a small ice flow near Tollneset, Svalbard, until our expedition ship intruded into her personal space, and she took to the water.

A2C09206-Edit.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

They feed largely on mollusks, especially Clams, crustaceans and small fish. Using their highly sensitive whiskers to locate prey in murky light or even complete darkness. The high vaulted palate and piston-like tongue create suction strong enough to pull Clams and snails right out of their shells.

A2C09217.jpg

Also known to scavenge dead whales, and some old rogue males attack and eat seals.

A2C09229-Edit.jpg

Great capture! After seing those beautiful images, I took a look on some surveys of this emblematic animal in the Canadian arctic where the population seems very stable; this is encouraging!

Great capture! After seing those beautiful images, I took a look on some surveys of this emblematic animal in the Canadian arctic where the population seems very stable; this is encouraging!
Thanks Cristobal, the Svalbard walrus population is slowly increasing, despite being red listed and having almost been hunted to extinction over the last 350 years, so that's good news. It will be interesting to see how they cope with increased predation from polar bears who are switching from their preferred seal diet as the pack ice retreats further north each year!

Interesting information. Very nice photos, looks to weigh a large poundage
Thanks Charles, this female looked on the small side to me, about 900 lbs, and the males are usually much heavier, on average by about 1000 lbs extra --- These Atlantic Walrus are smaller than their Pacific cousins where the males vary between 1750 lbs and 3750 lbs, females between 880 lbs and 2750 lbs.. Male Atlantic Walrus average around 2000 lbs..

So lucky to be there in the right moment and thanks for sharing all these amazing shots with us. I hope you will continue to take more photos as beautiful as what you shared with us.
Hi Lina, I certainly intend to take more photos and post them on this forum --- there are more Arctic shots to follow along with some birds from Spain ( see the Golden Eagle shots posted here last week ).

Back