Atmospherics

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

In 25 years I basically never experienced it, but last weekend I finally got a gross bummer. It was 100F before a rain (humidity close to 100%), I was slowly driving park road looking for birds when I saw a racoon. I got out of the car, but could not get away from it, so I was shooting from under opened front door right next to hot engine - using Z9/800PF. You can imagine the results :) Basically like shooting with a phone on a run. I'm totally ashamed to get caught with this stupid mistake.

In 25 years I basically never experienced it, but last weekend I finally got a gross bummer. It was 100F before a rain (humidity close to 100%), I was slowly driving park road looking for birds when I saw a racoon. I got out of the car, but could not get away from it, so I was shooting from under opened front door right next to hot engine - using Z9/800PF. You can imagine the results :) Basically like shooting with a phone on a run. I'm totally ashamed to get caught with this stupid mistake.
We've all done it, or similar things like shooting out of a heated car through an open window on a cold morning or out of a warmed house to cold outdoor temps through an open window. It happens. At least it's a good reminder to avoid big temperature differentials or shooting long distances in the heat of the day or across sun warmed asphalt on a cold winter day.

I continue to make mistakes and when I do I ask myself, "Connie, have you ever picked up a camera and taken a photograph before?" I've been shooting for 12 years, wildlife for 10 of those years. It happens, don't berate yourself. Just try to think next time before you shoot, that's what I do.

Back