Aurora and Wildlife in Michigan?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Matt N

Supporting Member
Marketplace
We’ve been looking at trips to see/photograph the northern lights this Autumn. Unfortunately, we don’t have the budget or vacation time to do a big trip to Alaska, Iceland, etc. so we are looking at going to Michigan’s Upper Peninsula instead. We might not see the northern lights, but I’m also interested in wildlife photography and the Autumn colors.

Any tips or suggestions on where to go in that area for those 3 genres of photography in late October?

I think you can do two out of the three in the UP. In my experience up there - and I've been there dozens of times over the years - wildlife is very shy and tough to photograph. There are exceptions I'm sure, but I've always done bette with landscapes in the UP. Pictured Rocks NLS is one of my favorite spots and would work well for both color and potentially auroras.

We’ve been looking at trips to see/photograph the northern lights this Autumn. Unfortunately, we don’t have the budget or vacation time to do a big trip to Alaska, Iceland, etc. so we are looking at going to Michigan’s Upper Peninsula instead. We might not see the northern lights, but I’m also interested in wildlife photography and the Autumn colors.

Any tips or suggestions on where to go in that area for those 3 genres of photography in late October?
I too will be interested in what you hear since I have also contemplated this trip. What I heard from one person was: "Fly into Traverse City then drive north for a couple hours. One would probably need to rent a house. Most of the hotels on Mackinac island close by Sept. 1. Also one might want to be further out than near the resorts. One could fly into Detroit but it is almost 4 hours to Traverse City." Not sure if this info is correct.

I think you can do two out of the three in the UP. In my experience up there - and I've been there dozens of times over the years - wildlife is very shy and tough to photograph. There are exceptions I'm sure, but I've always done bette with landscapes in the UP. Pictured Rocks NLS is one of my favorite spots and would work well for both color and potentially auroras.
That’s good to know. I’ll probably only take one long lens and allocate more space to lenses for landscape/night sky. Thanks for that location. I do enjoy beautiful rock formations. Hopefully I can find a few locations for that, particularly facing north if I’m lucky with the aurora.

My wife and I spent some time there in October. We headquartered out of Mackinaw City. Well, a cabin by the state park just outside of the city. We were hoping to get some Aurora shots but it rained or was very cloudy every night we were there. However, the rain and fog made for some incredible fall colors and landscape photography. We drove north to Tequamenon Falls State Park which is beautiful and then up to Whitefish Point. I wanted to see Lake Superior since I have only seen it out the window of an airplane before. The day at the falls and at the lake were beautiful and sunny with some perfect morning fog for landscapes. Unfortunately, the rain started again by the time we made it back to our cabin.

We saw a lot of birds and small creatures (mostly small squirrels and a couple raccoons) but no larger wildlife. We were convinced Sasquatch must have scared all the larger mammals off. :)

Hope you have fun. It was a memorable trip and one we will do again.

The areas mentioned already are good, lots of waterfalls in those areas. There is a lot you can see without a lot of walking as far as landscape is concerned. Wildlife (mammals) will most likely be whitetail deer and turkeys though there are a few moose in that area as well. If you don’t mind doing more hiking to locations, the western upper peninsula is great. Porcupine Mountains is beautiful in the fall. There are some good lookout points along the trail to get shots of Lake of the Clouds. I think there is one point you can drive to and get a nice view as well. Keweenah Peninsula is also nice. If you have enough time, driving from west to east or vice versa along Lake Superior would be an amazing trip.

forgot to mention, we were there October 10-15, 2023 and the fall colors were at peak. It was amazing. Of course, the peak dates differ from year to year but they were at absolute peak on the 10th when we arrived and after all the rain, by the 15th, there were still colors but not peak colors like the first 2 days.
_T3A9633.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

forgot to mention, we were there October 10-15, 2023 and the fall colors were at peak. It was amazing. Of course, the peak dates differ from year to year but they were at absolute peak on the 10th when we arrived and after all the rain, by the 15th, there were still colors but not peak colors like the first 2 days.View attachment 82316
That’s good to know about the dates. Based on the moon, it looks like we’d have to go either at the very beginning or at the very end of the month. Great picture, BTW. Glad the fog had a silver lining. :)

I have lived in MI for 77 years and would agree with most of what has been said by others. Pictured Rocks is not to be missed. Take the boat trip. It's really the only way to see them and it's well worth it. On your way up north make time for Sleeping Bear Dunes. It's really beautiful. I would add that you should take into consideration that there can be a lot of driving time involved in a U.P. adventure. No expressways up there! I know there was once a book /directory of the plentiful waterfalls in Michigan. I would suggest maybe trying to search out some information of that kind of on line.

Years ago, my wife and I spent several days in the Big Bay Area on Lake Superior. There’s a bed and breakfast in a lighthouse which we enjoyed. Also forested in the area. This was the only time I’ve seen a porcupine in the wild. We were there in September. Unfortunately no aurora when we were there. We drove through Wisconsin on the way up. Very scenic.

The UP is a special place and is prized for its sense of remoteness. There are a variety of ways to get there including flying into Detroit and then driving for roughly six hours, flying into Traverse city and driving a couple of hours, flying into Marquette (in the UP), etc. Most of the UP roads are two lanes and while distances aren’t that great it takes a while to get between place to place. The lakes offer a lot of interesting landscapes and the timing/quality of fall colors are highly variable. IMHO the upper part of the lower peninsula frequently affords better color options because of the mix of trees. In terms of areas in the UP to consider, Pictured rocks (Munising area) offers some great scenery and hiking. Tahquamenon Falls is worth a look and can offer some photographic opportunities. Regarding WL and birds, there are a lot there but unlike FL or elsewhere there aren’t concentrated places or guarantees of seeing anything. For example, the UP has moose, bear, lynx, etc. but apart from up’ers who live there year round, you’re unlikely to see them. Likewise, birding is hit or miss. There is an area on Lake Superior, the Whitefish Bird Observatory, which is one of the key flyways for bird migration (https://wpbo.org/). I’ve been there many times and while it’s great for spotters, photographers will find it more challenging because the birds are flying in the distance or are far away. Likewise, there’s a national wildlife refuge (Seney - https://www.fws.gov/refuge/seney), though it’s back country and not all that accessible for a day visit. There are a fair number of other areas if you are really determined and you can find some resources online.

The northern lights are unpredictable and given the variability in weather can be hit or miss. If I seem a bit equivocal on some things it’s because I am trying to be realistic about expectations. There are a lot of interesting things to see and enjoy, though the variability in conditions and serendipitous nature of encounters are such that a given week can be highly productive or lonely and disappointing.

No U.P. experience is complete without savoring a pastie (pronounced with a short A as in: "back in the past") My two favorite places are Suzie's along U.S. 2 near St. Ignace and Muldoon's near Munising. Another place not to miss if you're anywhere near it is The Jam Pot Bakery long HWY M 26 near Eagle River run by a group of monks. When you get out of your car the smells alone will make you open your wallet and treat yourself. All of these places can be found with a quick search of the internet. There's commercial fishing for white fish etc. up that way and some smoked fish is something I never miss. Don't forget about the light houses. U.S. 2 offers a lot of free public access to pull off for good scenic views of Lake Michigan, smaller dunes and beach combing.

No U.P. experience is complete without savoring a pastie (pronounced with a short A as in: "back in the past") My two favorite places are Suzie's along U.S. 2 near St. Ignace and Muldoon's near Munising. Another place not to miss if you're anywhere near it is The Jam Pot Bakery long HWY M 26 near Eagle River run by a group of monks. When you get out of your car the smells alone will make you open your wallet and treat yourself. All of these places can be found with a quick search of the internet. There's commercial fishing for white fish etc. up that way and some smoked fish is something I never miss. Don't forget about the light houses. U.S. 2 offers a lot of free public access to pull off for good scenic views of Lake Michigan, smaller dunes and beach combing.
Thanks for the tips! My mouth is already watering!

I agree with pretty much everything else here. Wildlife is very scarce and very skittish. We've never seen whitetail, but saw a Moose once. Wolf tracks but never a wolf. Black bear from too far away to photograph but a lot of them will be hibernating by the end of October anyway. Even the eagles and ravens are skittish. Seney is only 5-10 minutes from 28 (one of the major highways) so not sure why someone would consider it remote. Although we've never seen anything except squirrels and normal songbirds there.

Whitefish point, copper harbor, and lake of the clouds are good spots for looking north. The milky way lines up with tahquamenon falls and bond falls at certain times of the year so you might want to check that. Also pay attention to wildfires in Canada. Last time we were there they screwed with photos.

If you happen to arrive earlier in October Oswald Bear Ranch near Newberry is worth a visit, but they close for the season on October 10th.

I agree with pretty much everything else here. Wildlife is very scarce and very skittish. We've never seen whitetail, but saw a Moose once. Wolf tracks but never a wolf. Black bear from too far away to photograph but a lot of them will be hibernating by the end of October anyway. Even the eagles and ravens are skittish. Seney is only 5-10 minutes from 28 (one of the major highways) so not sure why someone would consider it remote. Although we've never seen anything except squirrels and normal songbirds there.

Whitefish point, copper harbor, and lake of the clouds are good spots for looking north. The milky way lines up with tahquamenon falls and bond falls at certain times of the year so you might want to check that. Also pay attention to wildfires in Canada. Last time we were there they screwed with photos.
Thanks for the tip about wildfires...I hadn't even thought of that.

And let me add to my earlier post that although I've never seen the Aurora, if I was in the UP with that as my goal I'd head towards Copper Harbor and, more specifically, the Brockway Mountain drive.

Don't forget about the lighthouses! We bought a book on lighthouses and had fun visiting and photographing as many as we could. Perhaps the images here will help you see what's available in the Upper Peninsula.

If you take the boat trip to see Picture Rocks, I suggest making reservations in advance and booking the last tour of the day for softer light.

You may want to check out Seney National Wildlife Refuge for bird photography and Whitefish Point is a good spot if the aurora is out.

The Keweenaw Peninsula is your best bet for seeing the Aurora.

small world Matt. we've been DMing about other topics.

I've been in Michigan most of my life, and have done a lot of aurora and wildlife shooting here :)

here are some time lapses of 8 of my top Aurora sightings in 2022. many from Michigan/Wisconsin, but some from Iceland. (my profile pic is Iceland that year)

FYI - I've yet to do Alaska, but I do at least 1 week in Iceland every year. my cheapest trips have been about $2K per person and most expensive was around $4K per person all in. that's rental car, insurance, hotels, food, etc. I did a write up specifically about my 2023 Iceland trip here:

back to Michigan - the UP is a LARGE area. Aurora mostly has to do with luck, but pick sometime around the new moon. In 2024, the new moon will be October 2. Full moon is October 17, and last quarter is October 24. so I would be targeting early October this year, not late October (if possible).

Aurora in Michigan is fairly common, but any sort of moon will often wipe it out completely.

Most aurora in Michigan is also going to just be horizon level (as opposed to 360 degree like you get in higher latitudes). so you'll want to pick a place facing north, with a body of water in front of you.

Occasionally big storms will let it go higher in the sky, and lower latitudes - but the best way to increase your odds is to get as far north as possible. Though I've witnessed Aurora from Ohio and Indiana before.

My favorite place is Brockway Mountain lookout in Copper Harbor, which is just about as far north as you can get in Michigan. Other than that, just outside Munising and Marquette have been lucrative for me.

I also love to shoot the Mackinac Bridge with the aurora, but I shoot from the south side - which is technically the lower peninsula.

Admittedly, I have less experience with wildlife in the UP. I've searched for moose and wolves, but not been successful. Iron and Barraga county are supposed to be best for those. I've got dash cam footage of both moose and wolves running across the road, but I've never been able to capture them with a good camera while I went looking specifically for wildlife. go figure.

You may want to check out Seney National Wildlife Refuge for bird photography and Whitefish Point is a good spot if the aurora is out.

edit: how could I forget about Seney!

This is basically the only lucrative place I've been in the UP for wildlife specifically. I've been several times and each time I get a variety of Kingfishers, Loons, and Herons. If you go - do so right at sunrise or sunset. I've suggested the place to many - and everyone seems to go midday and ends up with bad light, or lack of subjects (or both)

Last edited:
Back