Aurora Borealis photography locations

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Matt N

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Although I'm primarily a wildlife photographer, one of my goals is to photograph the Aurora Borealis (Northern Lights). Does anyone have suggestions for good destinations for this and possibly photography-centric guides. I can't spend too much on a guide though since the airfair, hotel, car, etc. will probably eat up most of my budget. I'm particularly interested in a location that would offer wildlife opportunities during the day or if the aurora borealis doesn't show.

Another vote for Iceland. We went over Thanksgiving week a couple of years ago. Rented a beautiful little cottage through VRBO on the Snaefellsness Peninsula; that area is good for Lights photos because there is hardly any light pollution, it is reasonably close to Reykjavik (roads can get iffy in the winter), and there is a huge national park on the peninsula that is virtually empty in the winter. Plus, Iceland is in general much warmer than other Borealis destinations--temps in the 20s when we were there. We would head out about 7 pm, find a nice location, set up the camera and tripod next to the little 4WD we had rented, then sit in the car to stay warm and wait for the light show. No way could I sit outside for hours waiting for the lights to appear.

My wife and I bought food and adult beverages at local shops and for the most part cooked our own food, as many restaurants in rural areas are closed during the winter. Most enjoyable in our cozy cottage. Stock up in Borganes, the last sizeable town between Reykjavik and the Peninsula. You will not find much wildlfe, though. That time of year you only have about five hours of daylight every day; it is beautiful light, though, all "golden hour." During the brief daylight we would explore likely locations to return to after dark. We intentionally chose to avoid crowded locations and the tourist "hot spots."

The trip was not expensive. Easy to set up on your own via the Internet.

Indeed, timing is everything. I figured we had perhaps a one in three chance of seeing the lights. You need high solar activity and a clear sky, and be out at the right time. So, if you go, allow at least a week to increase your chances. We got very lucky. Saw brilliant light displays six out of eight nights. Sometimes early at night, sometimes late, but always impressive. I got some fantastic photos.

There are apps available for your phone that provide a wealth of good information about solar activity, including activity forecasts and cloud cover. I use both Aurora Pro and Aurora Now. Also, we constantly checked weather through the Iceland website ("Vedur" in Icelandic). The apps were invaluable and really maximized our ability to see the lights. One evening, for example, the place we wanted to sit was socked in with clouds. A quick check on my apps revealed that just 10 or 15 miles away the sky was clear, so we hopped a few miles north and enjoyed a brilliant display.

We got lazy the last couple of nights and sat in our cottage, sipping good Scotch, occasionally looking out the window to see if the light show had started yet. I actually got my best photos merely walking 100 yards or so away from our cottage (after draping some jackets over the few lights around the cottage). The setting was perfect, the Aurora illuminating a line of snow-capped mountains.

We were extremely lucky to have good weather and good solar activity almost every night. I would really like to do this trip again, but the chances of being that lucky again are slim. It's a crap shoot, but if you succeed, it is one of life's great experiences. Good luck.

Two other possibilities, Alaska and Canada (much closer for West Coasters). One can fly into Fairbanks and drive to the outskirts and shoot. Or Yellowknife (Northwest Territories), stay in "city" for not much and drive out of town in 30 minutes or so. One can often do either of these "last minute" when the aurora activity is predicted to be high and clear skies without an early moon. We didn't use a guide, when we flew into Yellowknife one could already see the aurora from the plane, rented a car and drove to the lake area. We had an amazing show for several hours, then drove to our hotel in the early morning. There are wood bison about an hour away from Yellowknife and we saw a Northern hawk owl on our drive to see the wood bison:

Also some people go to the Churchill area or Northern Michigan. In the Churchill area sometimes one can even see polar bears under the Northern Lights:

These are great ideas! Thanks for the detailed responses. We had been considering Fairbanks or Iceland. I'm in Virginia, so neither is close.

I occasionally see (and photograph) the Northern Lights (and STEVE -- see below) in Northern Minnesota where we have a cabin. Not regular enough to recommend it as a destination for Northern Lights. It did, however, get me interested in Northern Lights photography.

Iceland can be a good spot. But weather can be an issue. I did a trip with a photo group to the Icelandic Highlands in September, 2021. In addition to doing landscape photography, we also hoped to see the Northern Lights, but did not. Dark skies and no light pollution is great. But we did not have any clear nights, so although Northern Lights were quite likely there on several nights, we were unable to see them.

One of our local guides on that trip does Northern Lights trips. Iceland is not a large country, so he chooses where to go for a given evening based on the weather forecast for the night. (We did not do this on my Highlands trip.)

I was on Hudson Bay near Seal River (Seal River Heritage Lodge) to photograph polar bears and Arctic foxes in November, 2022. About 30 miles north of Churchill. We had 4 nights at the lodge and had bright Northern Lights on two of the nights. The land nearby was pretty flat, so foreground was a challenge for photographs. If I recall, Churchill claims that Northern Lights are visible in the area up to 300 nights a year (not sure what to make of this claim, as it says "up to").

The best Northern Lights I have seen, whether for viewing or photography, was in Greenland, September, 2023. I was with a photo group on a large ocean-going, motorized sailboat in Scoresbysund. Scoresbysund is a large fjord system in eastern Greenland around 70 degrees north and about a 500 mile flight north of Iceland. We had 11 nights on the boat and had Northern Lights on 10 of the nights. The time, intensity and direction varied, but we had some spectacular nights. On one occasion, we had Northern Lights in all directions from the boat. The captain and our guides said this was the most Northern Lights they had ever had on such a trip (two or three nights with Northern Lgiths visible would be more common on a trip like this). At that latitude, Northern Lights are very common, but often the weather is cloudy and you can't see them. We had 10 straight clear or mostly clear nights. It was also nice to have interesting foregrounds and backgrounds for photography -- ocean (for reflections), mountains, and icebergs. There were only two negatives -- night photography was only from the boat, given the risk of polar bears on shore. So you had to try to use a faster shutter speed for best results, as the boat moved a bit (of course, Northern Lights also move). I liked my Nikon Z 20 mm f1.8 for this purpose better than the Z 14-24 f2.8 I also had along. I also only photogrpahed the Northern Lights on 7 of the nights, as we were usually up and on shore before sunrise. Northern Lights and a sunrise shoot make for a short night's sleep. But it was amazing. Given the location, you could only do this with a group. Maybe unguided would be possible in Western Greenland.

We also photographed STEVE in Greenland (and I have seen it in northern Minnesota). STEVE = Strong Thermal Emission Velocity Enhancement. Not the same as Northern Lights and sometimes seen further south and in different directions. More column-or fence-like and streaky than Northern Lights.

I've also seen, but not photographed, Northern Lights in Alaska (Anchorage in February, 2023).

Increasing activity in the sunspot cycle should be good for Northern Lights over the next few years. I use a couple of iPhone/iPad apps to track good conditions for Northern Lights. Aurora Pro and Space Weather Live. I'm sure there are other apps too and some websites.

One other point. A friend of mine was going to Svalbard in August and asked me what he should bring to photograph Northern Lights. The problem was at that time of year and at that latitutde, skies were not dark enough to see Northern Lights. So timing is important.

I'm leaning toward Fairbanks, so that I might see some wildlife during the day or if it's too cloudy for the northern lights. Do I need to use a guide service to get to scenic locations?

I'm leaning toward Fairbanks, so that I might see some wildlife during the day or if it's too cloudy for the northern lights. Do I need to use a guide service to get to scenic locations?
A lot depends on how much emphasis you place on the "background"? Many people go to Creamer’s Field Migratory Waterfowl Refuge. It is only a few miles from the airport and one can see various birds there. When are you thinking of going? The hawk owls nest there.

I'm looking at mid-September or October, although I fear I may have waited too long to reserve a hotel. This is going to be an expensive trip for me, so I want to plan it well. Assuming the aurora cooperates, I'd like to have a natural scene (mountains, forests, fields, water, etc.) instead of something with man-made structures in it. I don't know if it's possible to get to locations like that on my own or not.

I'm looking at mid-September or October, although I fear I may have waited too long to reserve a hotel. This is going to be an expensive trip for me, so I want to plan it well. Assuming the aurora cooperates, I'd like to have a natural scene (mountains, forests, fields, water, etc.) instead of something with man-made structures in it. I don't know if it's possible to get to locations like that on my own or not.
Don't bother with the usual hotels - Iceland has so few "american" style hotels that they are all booked up way in advance. Instead use things like VRBO or airbnb. Actually the best way to book Iceland accommodations is through booking.com - they do have the typical hotels and they have the non-traditional style of lodging as well. You'll find that there are plenty of places that have a small group of tiny homes on a property that are very acceptable and allow you to make your own meals to save you plenty of money on your meals.

Iceland is a very beautiful and photogenic place. And as they say, if you don't like the weather, just wait 10 minutes, and it'll be different :) My advice is to never walk more than 10 meters away from your car or house without having immediate access to rain clothes...

Wintertime (October to March/April) is best for aurora viewing as the skies are darker and there is generally lower humidity and probably less overcast.

An alternative that I would strongly recommend considering is Abisko in Northern Sweden. The advantage is that the humidity in the typical westerly winds is pushed over the mountain range between Abisko and Lofoten, and often drops as snow or rain before it gets to Abisko, so you have a high proportion of clear skies even compared to Lofoten and other areas closer to the ocean. You can fly in to Narvik and drive by car (1.5h) to Abisko where you can find accomodation. There area itself (a nature park) is worth exploring also. We were in the area last year end-March and had 4 days of clear skies in strong geomagnetic storms, so lots of aurora. You can also explore the area in Lofoten while there, but you should make sure you get a car with spikes in the tire as the roads are typically compressed snow and ice (but otherwise fine).

As for timing and being able to use the days, I think around spring or autumn equinox may be good timing as you have dark nights but also relatively long days to explore the area. It's also not as cold as mid-winter, of course.

Iceland is a very beautiful and photogenic place. And as they say, if you don't like the weather, just wait 10 minutes, and it'll be different :) My advice is to never walk more than 10 meters away from your car or house without having immediate access to rain clothes...

Wintertime (October to March/April) is best for aurora viewing as the skies are darker and there is generally lower humidity and probably less overcast.

An alternative that I would strongly recommend considering is Abisko in Northern Sweden. The advantage is that the humidity in the typical westerly winds is pushed over the mountain range between Abisko and Lofoten, and often drops as snow or rain before it gets to Abisko, so you have a high proportion of clear skies even compared to Lofoten and other areas closer to the ocean. You can fly in to Narvik and drive by car (1.5h) to Abisko where you can find accomodation. There area itself (a nature park) is worth exploring also. We were in the area last year end-March and had 4 days of clear skies in strong geomagnetic storms, so lots of aurora. You can also explore the area in Lofoten while there, but you should make sure you get a car with spikes in the tire as the roads are typically compressed snow and ice (but otherwise fine).

As for timing and being able to use the days, I think around spring or autumn equinox may be good timing as you have dark nights but also relatively long days to explore the area. It's also not as cold as mid-winter, of course.
I was looking at Fairbanks, Alaska, not Iceland. However, it sounds like Iceland or Sweeden could be good alternatives. The price to fly to Alaska is looking more and more prohibitive.

I took this photo last Tuesday (2/13/24) in Iceland at Mt. Kirkjufell

20240213-_Z812721.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

In my experience, the closer you can get towards the Arctic/Antarctic Circles, at the right time of the year, the better your chances are of seeing the aurora. Norway is generally a more favorable location for seeing the aurora than Iceland. But you can definitely see the aurora in multiple countries/locations when the conditions are right. I've shot them in Banff Canada as well.

Alaska, Canada, Greenland, Iceland, Norway, New Zealand, etc. are all good locations for potentially seeing the aurora.

As others have said, once you are in a potential aurora location, there are still several factors that must come together in order for you to see and/or photograph the aurora (e.g., solar activity, clear skies, intensity of the aurora, etc.). Most of these factors won't be known very far in advance of the event. The best you can do is put yourself in a reasonable location for seeing the aurora, so that you can take advantage of it if the stars align for you. Once you are in-country, there are phone apps that can help you monitor the current and near future aurora conditions.

I have been to this same location in Iceland in October 2018 and I was able to get some very active aurora shots on that visit as well.

For my most recent trip, I was in Iceland for 2 weeks, and this one occasion was the only night of the trip where I had clear skies and active aurora conditions.

YMMV

I took this photo last Tuesday (2/13/24) in Iceland at Mt. Kirkjufell

View attachment 82196

In my experience, the closer you can get towards the Arctic/Antarctic Circles, at the right time of the year, the better your chances are of seeing the aurora. Norway is generally a more favorable location for seeing the aurora than Iceland. But you can definitely see the aurora in multiple countries/locations when the conditions are right. I've shot them in Banff Canada as well.

Alaska, Canada, Greenland, Iceland, Norway, New Zealand, etc. are all good locations for potentially seeing the aurora.

As others have said, once you are in a potential aurora location, there are still several factors that must come together in order for you to see and/or photograph the aurora (e.g., solar activity, clear skies, intensity of the aurora, etc.). Most of these factors won't be known very far in advance of the event. The best you can do is put yourself in a reasonable location for seeing the aurora, so that you can take advantage of it if the stars align for you. Once you are in-country, there are phone apps that can help you monitor the current and near future aurora conditions.

I have been to this same location in Iceland in October 2018 and I was able to get some very active aurora shots on that visit as well.

For my most recent trip, I was in Iceland for 2 weeks, and this one occasion was the only night of the trip where I had clear skies and active aurora conditions.

YMMV
This is great information…and a great photo! Thanks.

eAlthough I'm primarily a wildlife photographer, one of my goals is to photograph the Aurora Borealis (Northern Lights). Does anyone have suggestions for good destinations for this and possibly photography-centric guides. I can't spend too much on a guide though since the airfair, hotel, car, etc. will probably eat up most of my budget. I'm particularly interested in a location that would offer wildlife opportunities during the day or if the aurora borealis doesn't show.
In the northern Lower 48 US, try northern Minnesota and Michigan's Upper Peninsula. For Alaska, north of Anchorage, also works, especially Fairbanks.

I was looking at Fairbanks, Alaska, not Iceland. However, it sounds like Iceland or Sweeden could be good alternatives. The price to fly to Alaska is looking more and more prohibitive.
Amazing that your flights to Iceland or Sweden are cheaper than Alaska. Staying for a week plus in any of these places plus the cost of food and a car rental for a "possible" aurora shot will make this one expensive picture! Good luck.

Amazing that your flights to Iceland or Sweden are cheaper than Alaska. Staying for a week plus in any of these places plus the cost of food and a car rental for a "possible" aurora shot will make this one expensive picture! Good luck.
My wife and I have been researching this all week and have concluded that we don’t have the funds or vacation time for such a trip, Alaska , Sweden, or Iceland. So now we are looking at a shorter trip to Michigan’s upper peninsula. We may or may not see the Aurora, but there are some nice parks I think. I plan to make a new post about that, asking for suggested locations.

Back