Australian Pelican

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Callie

Supporting Member
Marketplace
These guys are so much more cooperative than our pelicans. I just loved shooting them.
D500 2017 3864.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
D500 2017 0950.jpg
D500W 3252.jpg
D500W 7375.jpg
D500W 08213.jpg

Callie, again wonderful photos! The second photo reminds me of the Northern Gannets that are close to me - white feathers on the top part of the wings and brown feathers on the bottom. Do you under expose these photos? I usually clip the highlights on the wings (even when when I set a negative exposure compensation).

Callie, again wonderful photos! The second photo reminds me of the Northern Gannets that are close to me - white feathers on the top part of the wings and brown feathers on the bottom. Do you under expose these photos? I usually clip the highlights on the wings (even when when I set a negative exposure compensation).
Kathy, white birds, nearly always -0,7EV. I tend to shoot dark, rather than light, did a quick write-up for Ralph in my birds in action post on how I shoot. Whites can and will bow out, no question about that. Overcast is better than full sun, dappled light is excellent for whites. ACR helps a lot in killing whites; I often drag both the white and brightness sliders all the way to the left and even then you may have to do it again. Again, in NIK, in Color Efex pro, there is a white compensation filter. I normally use the bridal white. Here is a Cape Gannet, very similar to your gannet, where you can see how the whites were addressed. See on the outer edge of his neck down to the wings where it was blown.
00611 24X16W D500 0727.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Callie. I often use -.7 as well but I still get blown highlights. We usually have overcast days - the sun is rare where I live. During my last few trips to photograph gannets the sun has been shining which did not help. Thanks for the tips on processing. I will also look at your other post. BTW, your gannet looks exactly like our Northern Gannets!

Back