Auto Focus Area Mode Question

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Al Wyman

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I have a question about the best AF Area Mode to use for shooting planes. My current conditions- Z8,100-400 /w 1.4 TC. Manual Mode, f8, SS 1600, Auto ISO. Subject Detection set to Airplanes and Focus Mode set to C2 which is 13x7
My friend is using a D850, Tamron 150-600 set to use 150 focus points.
We are going to an airshow in a couple of weeks and we went out to practice at a small airport which has a row of trees beyond the runway.
The problem that we are both seeing is that when the planes are taking off or landing and are below the level of the trees they are badly out of focus. Once they get above the tree line, they are sharp.
In my case with the Z8 the focus box is staying inside the area mode box as it should, but I'm still seeing the problem I mentioned above. Would switching to a smaller AF Area Mode solve the problem and if so what would be the best one to use. On the plus side, we probably won't have to contend with trees at the airshow.

You could be impacted by heat haze, or other issues. Posting examples would help.

I use wide area l generally for my airshow images and have no issues with things not being in focus (except due to heat haze, or smoke related from planes burning the oil they burn).

It sounds like your Z8‘s focus is impacted by a cluttered background, which isn’t uncommon. You might try going to wide small, or C1 and having it set to the smallest available area, like single point. Another idea is switch to DX. I do this with eagles that I’m following. If the AF seems to struggle in FX, I seem to have luck in getting an AF lock when I switch to DX. I have Fn2 set to toggle between FX and DX on my Z9. Good luck.

Be sure that the lower part of the Wide área is not impacting in ground, trees or buildings that are in front of the plane. It's very usual to get the focus in the nearest place.

Best

Back