Auto ISO vs Other Modes

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

This question is really for @Steve

@Steve I know that you like to shoot manual with Auto ISO and I've been liking that method too since we get to choose SS and aperture pretty much at will. However, you also mention in your videos (and maybe in your book too), that there are times you use other modes - I'm assuming shutter and/or aperture priority.

So, my question is....under which conditons would you choose not to use manual with Auto ISO?

Thanks.

The only other modes besides M + Auto Iso I use are full manual and aperture priority. Full manual is the easiest to explain - when the camera's metering system "ain't gettin' it" I switch to full manual and jump into the drivers seat. :)

Aperture priority, however, is a little different. I tend to use it from time when I'm more concerned about F/stop and ISO than I am shutter speed. Landscapes are where I primarily use it - for most landscape images, I try to stay at base ISO and I most of the time I'm much more concerned about F/stop than specific shutter speeds. Even for landscape scenes with moving elements (i.e. water), I usually have a range of shutter speeds that will work. So, F/stop and ISO are the priorities and aperture priority works well in those situations. I'll also use aperture priority from time to time with macros too - but most of the time I like full manual mode for my macro work since I frequently focus stack. (And if I'm stacking a landscape, that'll be full manual too). So, overall aperture priority doesn't get used too much, but it's nice to use when the situation calls for it. Love it for when I'm in the SW since shutter speed almost never matters for rocks :)

OTOH, I don't like shutter priority at all - I am always thinking about subject isolation when I'm shooting wildlife and I don't want to use a mode that'll drop me to F/16 if the light gets too bright :) Sure, I can monitor and keep that in check with ISO and shutter speed, but it's far easier to just use M + Auto ISO.

And program? Just...no... :D

The only other modes besides M + Auto Iso I use are full manual and aperture priority. Full manual is the easiest to explain - when the camera's metering system "ain't gettin' it" I switch to full manual and jump into the drivers seat. :)

Aperture priority, however, is a little different. I tend to use it from time when I'm more concerned about F/stop and ISO than I am shutter speed. Landscapes are where I primarily use it - for most landscape images, I try to stay at base ISO and I most of the time I'm much more concerned about F/stop than specific shutter speeds. Even for landscape scenes with moving elements (i.e. water), I usually have a range of shutter speeds that will work. So, F/stop and ISO are the priorities and aperture priority works well in those situations. I'll also use aperture priority from time to time with macros too - but most of the time I like full manual mode for my macro work since I frequently focus stack. (And if I'm stacking a landscape, that'll be full manual too). So, overall aperture priority doesn't get used too much, but it's nice to use when the situation calls for it. Love it for when I'm in the SW since shutter speed almost never matters for rocks :)

OTOH, I don't like shutter priority at all - I am always thinking about subject isolation when I'm shooting wildlife and I don't want to use a mode that'll drop me to F/16 if the light gets too bright :) Sure, I can monitor and keep that in check with ISO and shutter speed, but it's far easier to just use M + Auto ISO.

Thanks for the reply. Makes sense and I was thinking along the same line but just needed that bit of confidence in my thinking!

"... for rocks." LOL

Back