Back button focus

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I have 'lost' my BBAF ability and haven't found out why. I used the settings recommended in Steve's Nikon autofocus system book as follows: Focus Mode set to AF-C; Under Custom Menu: AF-C Priority selection "Release"; AF Activation is "AF-ON only". The AF-ON button doesn't work. If I switch back to "Shutter/AF-ON, AF does work. Does anyone have any suggestions for what might be going on? Thanks

For BBAF "AF activation" under the custom settings A menu setting (it is a6 on my Z8, a Z6II may be a different item number) should say "OFF". Is it set to off?

If not in the AF activation menu go to the sub menu AF-ON only then next sub menu and ensure "Out-of-focus release" is set to "Enable"

Last edited:
@Raymo

My Z6ii BBF works OK. In the list of things that you posted I don't see custom settings>controls>custom controls>3 right hand clicks n the multi-selector to get to the AF-ON button where you can assign the function you want.

Back