If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

In his Secrets to Stunning Wildlife Photography e-book, Steve starts a section with "The Eyes Have It". Then "Here’s the thing – the eyes are generally the most important part of any wildlife image. If you mess this up, no matter how incredible the photo, the image is a throwaway."
The eyes are about all that's clear in this, but I just like the intrigue of it. Won't be tossing it!
D75_2212-1.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

A skittish coyote.
Nikon D7500; 200-500 with 1.4TC; shot at 700 mm; f/8; 1/500; ISO 800; on a tripod.

No doubt, eye sharpness is essential. But that's closely followed by subject pop. I think you could achieve the latter with an appropriate crop but at least to my eyes if you have to really search to find the subject the image struggles a bit unless its presented as a sort of Where's Waldo Now kind of challenge.

That's just my take and rules in photography or any art are often broken with great results.

For me the acid test goes back to slide shows both that I gave and attended. If someone (including me) had to explain where the subject was or what it was and the audience couldn't readily figure that out visually then the image had issues.

Just my 2 cents, perhaps you or others feel completely differently and I respect that.

In his Secrets to Stunning Wildlife Photography e-book, Steve starts a section with "The Eyes Have It". Then "Here’s the thing – the eyes are generally the most important part of any wildlife image. If you mess this up, no matter how incredible the photo, the image is a throwaway."
The eyes are about all that's clear in this, but I just like the intrigue of it. Won't be tossing it!
View attachment 1823
A skittish coyote.
Nikon D7500; 200-500 with 1.4TC; shot at 700 mm; f/8; 1/500; ISO 800; on a tripod.
Cool shot. I'd try to bring that sharpness of the shrubbery on photo right down closer to the softness elsewhere around the coyote (wolf?) to maintain the overall artistic feel of the shot.

Lovely shot. My eyes are first drawn to the in-focus bush, Maybe if you blurred those to match the surrounding out of focus stuff then did a little bit of enhancement to the critter, it will pop just enough to grab your eye when first looking at the photo. Well captured and framed.

Last edited:
We do not have Wily E Coyote in Africa, but his cousin, the Black-backed jackal, is as much a thief and a sneek and this image epitomizes the sneaky chatterer of these canines! Love it.