If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

SonoranDesert

Supporting Member
Marketplace
One day this week….my dogs were barking and had the kind of bark that said, “HEY, THERE IS SOMETHING WEIRD/DIFFERENT HAPPENING HERE!”
I called them to come in…and went to see what the fuss was about…

I looked over the backyard wall and WOW…a herd of Javelina (Collared Peccary) about a dozen or more! And 2 babies…(Adult females can give birthday at anytime of the year.)

They “dined” for a while and then made their way to the 'wash' for a different smorgasbord.

This was an awesome sighting. 🙌

I wasn't able to get a shot of the whole herd. My D850 had the 500mm on it and my D7500 a 70-300mm. I was 6 feet from them and I knew I didn't have a lot of time.

Note: Javelinas live and travel in groups called a squadron. The average squadron size tends to be between six and nine animals, but javelina's have also been observed living by themselves.
Javelina5421.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
Javelina5424.jpeg
Javelina5414.jpeg
Javelina5416.jpeg

The last one is really special... It’s like a pet waiting to be fed :)
Thanks! It did feel kind of like that way, @PhD69 but the only reason it even knew I was there was because of smell. They have really poor eye sight so I was able to stand still and they would wander up smelling with their nose in the air.