Backyard Cedar Waxwings

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Rassie

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I had a whole flock of Cedar Waxwings in the backyard yesterday. They were after the snowberries growing at the back fence. These birds were wild, every time I came out the back door onto the deck they took off. I had to stay inside the kitchen and shoot through the open sliding door. That did not go well. The camera had a very hard time focusing on the birds. It would just not track the eyes, and when it drew a focus box around the head, the majority of times the images were still soft. I have to conclude I was the victim of atmospheric distortion here, shooting from a warm kitchen out into the cold outdoors.

Few of the images were really sharp, but a few were sort of acceptable.

NZ8_0136.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

NZ8_0028.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice shot, Koos. Beautiful; love the environmental composition. Last I saw any of these guys was in Edmonton; a flock of several hundred in berry filled trees and shrubs, in sub minus 25 weather.

Still some nice shots but not your fault that you couldn't get closer, Koos. That happens to me every time with King fishers. I may have to tunnel underground and quietly pop up close to them for a good shot.

Very nice shot, Koos. Beautiful; love the environmental composition. Last I saw any of these guys was in Edmonton; a flock of several hundred in berry filled trees and shrubs, in sub minus 25 weather.
Thanks, Steven. I’m surprised your birds stuck around for so long before migrating.

We have a large Mulberry tree in our backyard....and every year around the same time, a flock of Waxwings will swoop in and steal 90% of the ripe (or nearly ripe) berries. They are talented little thieves.

Thanks, Steven. I’m surprised your birds stuck around for so long before migrating.
That year apparently (there was an article or two in the paper) they stuck around in great number; lots of berries to eat so as a researcher said (of them and Robins), no need to move on if there's lots of food.

I had a whole flock of Cedar Waxwings in the backyard yesterday. They were after the snowberries growing at the back fence. These birds were wild, every time I came out the back door onto the deck they took off. I had to stay inside the kitchen and shoot through the open sliding door. That did not go well. The camera had a very hard time focusing on the birds. It would just not track the eyes, and when it drew a focus box around the head, the majority of times the images were still soft. I have to conclude I was the victim of atmospheric distortion here, shooting from a warm kitchen out into the cold outdoors.

Few of the images were really sharp, but a few were sort of acceptable.

View attachment 72097

View attachment 72098
Beautiful Rassie👍👍👍 I very often experience the same issue when shooting from my patio door.

Beautiful Rassie👍👍👍 I very often experience the same issue when shooting from my patio door.
Thanks, Ralph. Under those conditions the camera seems to behave like a recalcitrant child, hell-bent on throwing a wrench into my photography.

We have a large Mulberry tree in our backyard....and every year around the same time, a flock of Waxwings will swoop in and steal 90% of the ripe (or nearly ripe) berries. They are talented little thieves.
I don't yet know much about these birds. For me it's a study in progress to figure out their habits.

That year apparently (there was an article or two in the paper) they stuck around in great number; lots of berries to eat so as a researcher said (of them and Robins), no need to move on if there's lots of food.
One would think they would move on once the berries are frozen, no? That's not the case here as yet.

Very nice! Fun when the wildlife comes to you :)
It's a small backyard, but they come if one makes it inviting enough for them.

It can be very frustrating.
Yesterday the birds were back. This time I went outside on the deck. They scattered again but I waited for them to return. That's when I got this image. This is a youngster who looks rather unkempt. The camera immediately grabbed its eye and locked focus. I'm convinced the atmospherics were messing me around the day before.

NZ8_0246.jpg

Back