Baggage allowance problem

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I've been to India five times, twice in the last year or so, and taken many internal flights on a variety of airlines, and never once was my carry-on weighed. These are on regular jets on Air India, Indigo, SpiceJet, and Vistera. My bags are always over the posted limit. My tour operator (who is Indian, and lives there, and travels all the time with camera gear) says he's never had his camera bag weighed either. Honestly I wouldn't worry too much about it. The bigger pain is be prepared to take everything out of your bag for security, and I mean just about everything! Be prepared for chaos on the security line and keep your eye on everything (not that it would be stolen, just easy to forget or drop something.) And don't pack any batteries (of any kind, even non-lithium) in your checked luggage or they will make you remove them.

Have a great trip, India is amazing!

...The bigger pain is be prepared to take everything out of your bag for security, and I mean just about everything! Be prepared for chaos on the security line and keep your eye on everything (not that it would be stolen, just easy to forget or drop something.) And don't pack any batteries (of any kind, even non-lithium) in your checked luggage or they will make you remove them.

Have a great trip, India is amazing!
Within the last week I watched a video from airline Youtuber Sam Chui about a flight on AirIndia. He said after thousands of international flights they were the first people to not allow his nail clippers in carry-on.

As mentioned, typically your cabin bag would not be weighed unless it 'looks' heavy/bulky, or you have more than one 'substantial' item.

I have just concluded a trip in India with an Airport Accelerator (~12 kgs loaded). Airlines like Indigo advertise a 7kg cabin bag limit. I have only been asked to weigh it once when I had a canvas shoulder bag in addition which looked a bit plumb 😐 I purposely went for a non-roller as they tend to attract more attention, esp. on full flights.

But note that you can pay excess baggage charges at the check in counter, which are ~ INR 500 per extra kg = ~ $6 ... so you can still avoid having to check in anything fragile / precious. I carry a foldable pack (Osprey Ultralight Stuff Pack) because often if you can spread the load out (if they weigh and complain) + pay for extra kgs then usually you are good to go with everything still with you.

I also keep a tab on weight per 'item group' (e.g. (a) body+lens A, (b) body+lens B, (c) binos, (d) memory/storage, (e) batteries+chargers, (f) straps+plates+misc, etc.), and pack the bag as modular as possible so that I can pull out a few 'less fragile / precious' things out if need be to put into the jacket pockets / foldable bag.

The biggest headache is the security check, esp. at larger airports like Delhi ... where you should be prepared to put out everything in trays ... anything electronic - cameras, cables, powerbanks, chargers, batteries, laptop etc. Smaller airports are more forgiving and usually do not want to mess with a bag full of camera equipment and will allow you to scan it all together and generally inspect after the scan. But prepare to pull it all out if needed as this does happen frequently.

Within the last week I watched a video from airline Youtuber Sam Chui about a flight on AirIndia. He said after thousands of international flights they were the first people to not allow his nail clippers in carry-on.

Anything that can be remotely called a tool is usually a no go ... anything even as trivial as a keychain shard / wallet tools etc. Forget any form of hex keys / screw drivers etc. Almost a 100% chance that they will take it away.

I mark all such items in red in packing lists and they go into a pouch and into the checked bag(s).

Anything that can be remotely called a tool is usually a no go ... anything even as trivial as a keychain shard / wallet tools etc. Forget any form of hex keys / screw drivers etc. Almost a 100% chance that they will take it away.

I mark all such items in red in packing lists and they go into a pouch and into the checked bag(s).
Indeed, in India they took my spouses hex key for his Peak Design plate. Not sure how you could use that tiny thing as a weapon....

Just to add my two cents.....

The weight of your luggage or camera bag makes a big difference. If weight of your camera gear is a concern, pay close attention to the weight of the camera bag, accessories in the bag, padding for comfort or protection, etc. For example, my main travel bag several years ago was a Tamrac Expedition, but the bag is heavily padded - especially the shoulder straps and back padding. I replaced it with a Think Tank bag and eliminated nearly four pounds. Batteries are small and heavy - put them in your pocket. I carry a small "spares and repairs" kit when I travel. It can go in my checked bag and save 12 ounces. I have a full size ballhead as well as a smaller BH-40. When weight is an issue, I carry the BH-40 ballhead.

Bubble wrap is almost weightless and can be re-used. Rather than foam or fabric dividers, you can wrap lenses in bubble wrap.

International flights have different weight limits than domestic flights. This can be applied at the carrier level - US carriers are often different than EU flagged carriers. This works two ways. If you are over weight limits, you may be able to simply pay a penalty fee. The amount of the fee varies widely. I have a friend that paid $100 per bag per leg for travel in China more than 15 years ago - a bill of $600 for a trip. In other countries over limit bags are simply prohibited and must be checked - but that can throw you over checked bag limits and result in more fees. Just know the limits for the airline you are using.

Avoid fabrics and materials that are heavy or dense. Denim jeans are usually very heavy and can be replaced with travel clothing. Heavy coats can be replaced with light layers and materials. Even shoes can make a difference of two pounds or more.

Investigate shipping ahead - but be aware of security risks. You may be able to work with your tour company to ship items in advance. This may mean shipping your backup camera.

If the purpose of your trip - or a major portion of the trip - is photography, carry the gear you need. Don't spend $1000 and two days on a wildlife excursion without having the right lenses.

Many thanks for all your comments and suggestions. I've had a look on B & H's website as you kindly suggested. They only have the vests. Following this I telephoned Tiffen who confirmed that the jackets have been discontinued. It's just now a question of deciding whether to go for the sand coloured or black one. It defiinitely seems to be the solution to the baggage issue. It'll also be useful on holiday as I won't have to carry around a camera bag.

Also pants (or shorts) with a cargo pocket could hold at least one modest sized body (Sony a7c or Nikon Z6 or similar) or perhaps a small lens (Nikon 24-70 f4 or similar).

I appreciate you posting this thread, because I am tentatively planning my first trip to India for February next year. Honestly I might not have thought about this if you had not posted it. It seems the most stringent guideline listed here for carry-on is 7kg, which is 15.4lb for us Americans.

I have never bothered to weigh my fully loaded camera backpack which I did just now and it came out to 22.5 pounds, so I am clearly over. Gives me something to think about. For reference, my bag is a MindShift (by ThinkTank) Firstlight 30L and full kit is Nikon Z8 with these four Z lenses: 14-30 f4, 24-70 f4, 70-200 f2.8, 180-600 f5.6-6.3. It also had in it the charger and extra battery and a couple filters (plus lens pen, raincover, etc).

I have a few different ideas and am not seeking advice per se, just saying I appreciate the thread. Only reason for posting gear weight is if anyone has a similar setup it will give you a baseline of what to expect.

As most people say here, you will probably be fine and never have a problem. I never thought about it until the hassle I had in Kochi. Now I am going to plan ahead and be proactive.

I have a few different ideas and am not seeking advice per se, just saying I appreciate the thread.
Only reason for posting gear weight is if anyone has a similar setup it will give you a baseline of what to expect.
I appreciated the thread:
I'll need to take a flight and I'm just wondering the best: If the trip is confirmed I will buy the Mindshift 26L everything will fit

For the Car and short distances, my Sling <1kg, transports my full gear.
Total weight of 7.5kg:

Z30+18-140
Zf+70-300E
10-20DX
180-600Z
3x small lenses 16-50z + TTartisan 50f2-25f2
5 batteries + 2x 20k powerbanks

Many thanks for all your comments and suggestions. I've had a look on B & H's website as you kindly suggested. They only have the vests. Following this I telephoned Tiffen who confirmed that the jackets have been discontinued. It's just now a question of deciding whether to go for the sand coloured or black one. It defiinitely seems to be the solution to the baggage issue. It'll also be useful on holiday as I won't have to carry around a camera bag.
I think the black is more discrete when you fill it with your items than the sand one. I have the black one, I found it less noticeable when I have it on

As you may know from a previous posting I'm going on a safari/temples holiday to India later this year. I've discovered a problem about which I'd appreciate your comments and suggestions. I've been advised by the tour operator that the allowance for cabin baggage for internal flights in India is 5kg. This morning I did a test weigh of the kit to go into the cabin to see if there was a problem. I'm planning to take my Z7ii/Z 24-120 and a D500/200-500. The total weight was about 8kg with nothing else. The question is 'what do I do?' My initial thoughts are these a) pack the D500 body in checked luggage which has a T.S.A approved padlock and hope that it doesn't get 'lost'. b) Sell the 200-500 lens and get a combination which might be lighter e.g 1.4TC with 100-400 c) bite the bullet and pay the excess charges on the grounds that i) I know that everything will be safer in the cabin and ii) I'm very unlikely to go to go to India again so pay up to get photos I won't ever get a chance to take again d) pair the D500 with a TC and my 70-300 4.5/5.6. I see this as a last resort as it appears that the D500/200-500 is one of the best combination to use on safari. I also plan to use it for airshows but this is a minor consideration. There may be other options and I'd be delighted as ever to hear them. I'm retired on a fixed income so if I can avoid buying yet more kit (it would have to be secondhand) then so much the better. Thanks for taking the time to read all of this. Kind regar

The limit in India is 7kgs. 8 is ok. If the bag looks small enough they do not check physically. Also say camera inside and most normally let you go through. I am not telling you the weight of my bag... :)

I was reminded on my just-completed trip to Nebraska and Kansas that airline rules are interpreted differently by different employees, and one's experience trying to board the same plane and even the same flight can vary. I went to visit my son in Kearney, Nebraska. This required a regional jet flight from Dallas to Grand Island. At the gate in Dallas the agent told me that "we are required" to make all carry-on items with wheels to be "yellow tagged" and hence left on the jetway to be placed in the baggage hold. I very politely indicated my reluctance to have this happen, given that my ThinkTank Airport Advantage (supposedly designed for just these kinds of regional fights) was loaded with expensive and fragile photo gear. The gate agent then did consult with the flight attendant for first class (I had upgraded to first class to give myself more leverage in situations like this). The flight attendant was fine with my bringing the bag on board because, after all, it does fit in their undersized overhead bins. End of problem.

On my return flight from Grand Island to Dallas no one batted an eye regarding my camera bag. Not a word. I just brought it on board and placed it in the overhead bin. End of story.

I actually had read that American/American Eagle is upgrading these smaller Bombadier regional jets with larger overhead bins, but the planes I flew on this trip were no upgraded.

Speaking of weight restrictions, I am looking for some advice. My wife and I travel with groups that are not photography focused. For many years I carried a couple of point and shoot Canon cameras. Now that I’m hooked on bird photograph, I like to take a camera that is capable of getting some decent shots of birds and animals, but small and light enough to fit I’m my carry on (along with “Meds” and other necessities required by an old man). I packed my Z8 with the 100-400, along with my Z6ll and 24-200 for Africa, and it made for a heavy carry on. Fortunately, I was able to persuade our guide to carry my bag on the aircraft, thus working around the weight restrictions.

However, I’d like a smaller, lighter kit. Ive been shooting Sony gear recently, and tried the Sony 70-350 cropped sensor lens on my a1 and found it works pretty well. The lens is tiny and gets you out to 500+ mm in crop mode. So my question is this: Has anyone tried the Sony a6700 body and what do you think about the view finder and rear screen. I hear the viewfinder and screen are not good. But, if people are satisfied with the a6700, I’d pick one up and take the a6700, 70-350, and 16-55 on my next trip… and feel a bit more comfortable around the rest of the tour group who are using mobile phones for photography.

I'm not interested in adding another system like a micro 4/3rd, just hoping that someone has had success with a a6700.
I have this kit i.e. Sony 6700 and Sony 70-350 and I am more than satisfied. First of all, as a pensioner, I don't have to carry a lot of weight. The weight of this kit is approximately 1120 grams. I had been carrying gear in a Burton Zoom backpack for 15 years and my back was screaming for help. Now I have a tiny backpack and in it the aforementioned kit plus the Sigma 105mm macro Art.I am mobile and don't get tired.Maybe I won't photograph for National Geographic with this equipment but I assure you that you won't be disappointed.

Back