Bags for travel vs system for shooting in the field

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

RichF

Well-known and Infamous Member
Supporting Member
Marketplace
Many of us have a great way to transport our gear from our home, onto a plane to a remote destination. Then the situation gets a bit dicey - other than carry my camera backpack around I don't have good way to keep my equipment at the ready when in the field. Suggestions?

I utilized a Thinktank Digital Holster when I carried around various 100-400 lenses attached to a camera body. Unfortunately the 30 model size I had was not wide enough on the hood end to fit the larger diameter hood of Nikon’s 400 f/4.5. But I found that style of strap over your shoulder, top loading, bag at your hip bag to be very convenient and beneficial when carrying and holding the camera in the field, so I bought another ThinkTank Digital Holster to use with the 400 f/4.5. I think the 150 size should work.

With the Digital Holster, I can have one bag that protects the camera during the drive, the walk, the climb, the weather, the brush, you name it. And it’s quick and easy enough to access to allow you to slide the camera out and start shooting in a few seconds. As I said above, I liked it so much I bought a second one. Hundreds of times I have carried and held my Z 6II with a 100-400 attached for 3 plus hours and never had an issue with weight.

There are many solutions for carrying one or more cameras in the field. I use a modified padded sling off one of the larger ThinkTank bags, which clips on to the eyelets on any one of my main heavier/larger telephotos. I hang a 500 PF or 70-200 f2.8 rig off a 2nd sling on the opposite shoulder. The Peakdesign Q-R clips are ideal in all these rigs.

I carry any smaller lenses, and teleconverters, accessories etc either in larger pockets of photo waistcoat (Country Innovations Raptor coat), or a small backpack.

This quick-access carry solution is all well and fine, unless one doesn't want to display expensive gear whilst walking to a target destination. (In case of emergencies it pays to be prepared: a compact Byrna loaded with pepper+solids is light and handy). Then I use a larger backpack: depending on who much gear this is a fStop Lotus or the Sukha. I also find the Lowpro LensTrekker works the best with a big fast telephoto (800 f5.6E with gripped camera attached). But the hood cannot be extended, which is fine leave space at the bag's top for other items: separated by a padded divider.

Last edited:
I use bags to transport but very rarely carry any additional gear that can’t fit in a pocket or a Fanny pack.
If I’m going for wildlife I’ve got a big prime and a body and since I hate camera straps I’m carrying it by the lens foot. I’ll have a TC or two in the jogger pouch that Steve uses or in a cargo pocket. If expecting a longer day possibly a spare battery and card in a pocket and that’s it. Than depending on what I’m planning on shooting is if I take a monopod or tripod with me. If I’m going for flying bird shots I just hand hold. If I know I’m going to stay in a spot to get an owlet fledging I’ll take a tripod. If I’m camping a spot for awhile I’ll take my cart with a few creature comforts on board but that’s it.
I have become a minimalist as I’ve gotten older. In my younger years I’d pack a ton of crap and carry it and hardly ever use it.
Now if I’m shooting landscapes I will take a Fanny pack or very small backpack with a few primes and a body as I don’t really need a camera at the ready.
If flying I consider the bags I’m taking for moving all the gear to isolating gear I’ll be using. For example I’ll take my Think Tank International and a smaller backpack as a carry on. Often that little backpack just has batteries, chargers, lens cleaners etc in it as everything else fits in the roller bag.
For me less is more.

I almost always use the following setup:
Large ThinkTank Airport Addicted for my main travel bag. It holds a full Z kit of cameras and lenses with accessories and my "spares and repairs" kit. It's a backpack that goes on the plane or in the car. Fully loaded, it's 30-35 pounds. What you can't see in this photo is the large pouches for accessories and spares and repairs, or the big laptop slot on the opposite side. This bag is discontinued, but there are other versions with and without wheels.
Bag packed with 800 PF.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

For travel into the field, I carry my camera outside a bag with a lens mounted, and 2-3 lenses plus accessories in a ThinkTank Turnstyle 20. This is a light bag that has a very wide strap. It fits close to my body but is on my back and out of the way. It rotates around to the front for easy access and lens changes. The relatively small size and light weight means I can carry it for 5-7 miles without any problem. It's good for hopping from rock to rock, hiking, scrambling, or lens changes while in sandy or wet areas where you can't put down your bag. It comfortably holds a 14-30, 24-70, and 105mm macro. The F-mount 70-200 fit easily, but the Z-mount version is a little tight and fits better with just one other lens. I've also carried a single long lens - up to the 500 PF or 400 f/4.5 in this bag with another lens on the camera. On occasion, I've packed a flash ranging from the SB-300 to the SB-910 with a Magmod diffuser. There are nice pockets on this bag for maps or rectangular filters as well as for batteries, cards, tools, a small poncho, and accessories. I clip a Storm Jacket to the bag for rain protection if needed. When traveling, the bag is in my checked luggage filled with clothing or breakables. Note - this bag is my second copy. It is currently out of stock and might be discontinued.
https://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/turnstyle-20-v2

My thought process is that I don't usually need to carry a second camera because I'm close enough to the car or vehicle that I can go back and get what I need if necessary. It may be a mile walk - but it's an unlikely occurrence and worth the tradeoff. Filled with lenses, this bag is normally less than 6 pounds. The other thing is I am likely to use everything in this pack. I'm not carrying items that I might use 1 in 10 trips - it's items I use 30-50% of the time or higher. I use all of the lenses 80-90% of the time over a typical day. If I need a larger lens, I carry it without a bag on a Black Rapid strap with a RRS quick release. The long lens can range from a 400mm f/4.5 to a 600mm f/4 or 800mm PF f/6.3.

I use a backpack for transport and sometimes carry it in the field, depending on the size and circumstances (hiking vs fixed location near vehicle, etc.). Depending on where I am going and how long I will be there (international travel and a local half day trip at the extremes), this may range from a large backpack (LowePro Prorunner 450 AW II) with a couple of bodies and several lenses to one that fits a single long lens and body (Think Tank Lens Taxi and I’ve ordered a LowePro Lens Trekker 600 to use in this way for my Z9 and 800 mm PF). On longer trips, I usually have a laptop bag along that can hold a lens and/or body, along with my laptop.

In the field, I tend to put a body and lens on a Blackrapid strap. If I am not worried about banging into rocks or other things (especially when getting down low for a photo), I may put a second body and lens on a dual Blackrapid strap. Where I want two bodies and the dual Blackrapid strap does not work well (generally in rocky areas — Galapagos and the Antarctic Peninsula come to mind), I sometimes use a ThinkTank belt system with holsters, so the camera/lens I am not using is protected. I have even had three bodies set up this way at times (one with a 500 mm PF on a Blackrapid strap and two in holsters, one with a 70-200 f2.8 and one with a 24-70 2.8) in conditions where I wanted versatility and did not want to change lenses in the field.

I often wear a photo vest (Domke in my case, not sure if they are still made) to carry extra batteries, cards, binocs etc. This can often mean I do not need to bring a larger backpack into the field. I have a pouch or two that can fit on the Think Thank belt system for this function too. I have a nylon belt that I can put a couple of small lens cases on that will hold TCs that I may want to add or take off in the field. If you have some kind of a pouch, these can also fit in a vest.

In my kayak, I have camera-tapered dry bags to keep my camera(s) dry from splashing or rain. They do not have padding, but still are very useful. I also find them quite useful when photographing from a zodiac. I also have a couple of larger dry bags that will fit around a camera backpack and a waterproof LowePro camera backpack (quite protective, but hard to get stuff in and out of in the field).

No perfect solutions here. I have even taken an extra duffel on a couple of trips to have room to bring another bag or the Think Tank belt system in addition to what I carried on the plane.

ThinkTank airport commuter for transport…but in the field the bodies are on a dual Black Rapid strap and I’ve got a belt with 2 attached bags for other stuff. Used to use a little daypack and started current idea after we moved out of the RV and into a house so we are hiking less…but not entirely convinced yet that this is the most efficient way.

I use a PelicanAir hard case for car or air travel. If I take the Z9 & 400 mm TC, I carry them in the supplied lens case as my "personal item". I use the Cotton Carrier system to carry the large telephoto on my chest. The strap over the lens keeps it from moving around. I often carry a second body with 70-200 mm & TC1.4 in a small backpack along with a spare battery and card. This balancing of weight front and back seems the most stable for me. A tripod can be either attached to the backpack or, with one eg extended, used as a trekking pole over more unstable ground.

For travel I use a Pelican Vault v525 as my carry on for camera gear, then my second carry on is a Mindshift 18L backpack that I just use for travel stuff, but have to use as a camera bag when I get to the destination. When not traveling, I use the Mindshift 18L but often leave it in the car (empty) and keep the camera/lens on a Peak Design Slider, and the accessories in a fanny pack. If I'm hiking a distance then I'll take the pack. The Mindshift can hold my Z7 or D850 with 500 PF attached and the other body and a couple of smaller lenses (70-200 or 300 PF plus wide zoom for landscapes). I don't always bring all of that stuff, usually when I go the the marsh to shoot birds I just take the camera and 500 PF. I also have a Mindshift 36L which I rarely use but it will carry as much as I will ever need, I just rarely need that much stuff.

I love my Gura Gear Bataflae backpacks and have them in 32L, 26L , and 18L sizes. I take whichever bag is needed to hold the gear I want for an outing. What makes the Bataflae bags great are lots of design details. They have exterior flaps that have pockets for small and medium size items so no need to get inside the main compartment most of the time. They have both shoulder straps and handles so much easier to move from house to car. Inside the 32L bag can be split in half only one side of the main compartment opened and gear exposed.

I like them so much I bought three extra one (including a used bag on eBay) to have if one of mine gets stolen. I can replace the cameras and lenses but the Gura Gear Bataflae bags are not available and I have found nothing that is nearly as good. These also have attachement points to mount a tripod on the side so the main compartment can be accessed without needing to remove the tripod. There are also outside pockets for a canteen.

When flying overseas I pack my clothes and other non photo items and my tripod in a Pelican Air 1615 (inside dimensions 29.6x15.8x9.4 inches) and that is my checked bag. At a destination I take an empty duffle bag out of the Pelican case and stuff my clothes and toiletries into it. That leaves me with the Pelican case to use to safely lock away laptops and chargers and lenses and speedlights I am not using on a given day. With only the 600mm f/4 and the 80-100mm lens and two cameras the Bataflae 32L is a fairly lightweight backpack for day use. Now I use the Bataflae 32L with the 800mm PF and the 100-400mm and two cameras.

The Pelican 1615 has a handle that pulls out and it has wheels so it is easy to move through airports and hotel lobbies. I use a folding trolley and bungee cords to roll my 32L backpack around and my 18L backpack is on my back. No need for a luggage cart or a porter.

Back