battery life EN-EL15 series

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

how long do ENL15 batteries last?
I have some vintage ones dating from 2011 to 2017.
Just got a Z8. Said 95 %charge then 1% after 111 shots on my 2017 battery(EN-EL15A)Assume the 95 %does not actually reflect its true capacity.

so a new 15c lasts about two hours. you can probably figure out an estimate by comparing the rated capacities and the throw in some fudge factor to account for their age

in general i would probably have modest expectations

I've had these batteries since I got my D700 in 2010. Can't remember any issues when I got a D810, but my D850 did not like some of the earlier ones, specifically those marked Li-ion 10. so when I sold my D810 I included all of my Li-ion 10 batteries.

No issues at all with the ones marked Li-ion 20 but no idea of how long they last as I don't go on long shoots. They are easily long enough for my use and I seldom have to change a battery unless the in use one is low from the start.

have not really noticed significant difference with d850 but the Z8 is much more power hungry it seems.Assume Z8 is revealing which batteries are not holding their charge(like an old ipad battery-charge it to 100% but does not last too long).

Hey David, I went thru the same thing when I jumped from the D850 to the Z8. Ended up getting all new batteries for the Z8 because the old ones just weren’t cutting it. Really my only gripe on the Z8 at this point. Keeping the 850 for now as I also shoot underwater and I need the all day battery life when on small boats and I don’t want to open the housing in rough conditions just to change batteries. BTW, new here. This forum and Steve’s vids made all the diff jumping to mirrorless.

Guess I got lucky with my older EN EL15's. I was shooting orchids in a marshy/bog area and fell face down in the bog. The batteries in my pocket got soaked and died, forcing me to replace them with new ones. LOL

There is also the option of powering the Z8 using its USB-C port and a 20K PD power bank. I need to do this even with the Z9 when setting the camera out for hours and using Auto Capture at a location.

how long do ENL15 batteries last?
I have some vintage ones dating from 2011 to 2017.
Just got a Z8. Said 95 %charge then 1% after 111 shots on my 2017 battery(EN-EL15A)Assume the 95 %does not actually reflect its true capacity.
It's the camera. I have two Z8 cameras and they eat batteries. Nikon recommends using the C battery but I use all versions, some last longer than others, depending on the type of shoot. I always carry four batteries in a pocket.

I've had these batteries since I got my D700 in 2010. Can't remember any issues when I got a D810, but my D850 did not like some of the earlier ones, specifically those marked Li-ion 10. so when I sold my D810 I included all of my Li-ion 10 batteries.

No issues at all with the ones marked Li-ion 20 but no idea of how long they last as I don't go on long shoots. They are easily long enough for my use and I seldom have to change a battery unless the in use one is low from the start.
I think you may have missed that time that Nikon had exchanged batteries for the latest version...I sent all mine in and they were replaced. It was quite awhile ago.

Hey David, I went thru the same thing when I jumped from the D850 to the Z8. Ended up getting all new batteries for the Z8 because the old ones just weren’t cutting it. Really my only gripe on the Z8 at this point. Keeping the 850 for now as I also shoot underwater and I need the all day battery life when on small boats and I don’t want to open the housing in rough conditions just to change batteries. BTW, new here. This forum and Steve’s vids made all the diff jumping to mirrorless.
Check your messages.

I bought 2 extra EN-EL15C batteries when I got my first Z8 this past October. Got another Z8 a few weeks ago, so now I have 4 batteries to use between the 2 cameras.

The Nikon mirrorless cameras are basically “instant on,” so I’ve gotten in the habit of turning the camera off when I’m not actively shooting (started doing this with the Z6II and Z7II). How long the battery lasts is more of a “how long is the camera on” vs. “how many shots did I get.” On a recent birding outing, I got 5,035 shots on a single battery, shooting mostly songbirds, at 20fps. So, how you shoot also plays a major part in how much you can get out of a single battery.

I bought 2 extra EN-EL15C batteries when I got my first Z8 this past October. Got another Z8 a few weeks ago, so now I have 4 batteries to use between the 2 cameras.

The Nikon mirrorless cameras are basically “instant on,” so I’ve gotten in the habit of turning the camera off when I’m not actively shooting (started doing this with the Z6II and Z7II). How long the battery lasts is more of a “how long is the camera on” vs. “how many shots did I get.” On a recent birding outing, I got 5,035 shots on a single battery, shooting mostly songbirds, at 20fps. So, how you shoot also plays a major part in how much you can get out of a single battery.
Right, and I’m assuming that’s without or with very little reviewing of the images. I’ve gotten from 700 to over 10,000 shots on a single charge from my Z9’s larger battery, the difference being the amount of chimping and fiddling with menu settings.

BTW, I estimate that it takes about 2-1/2 to three EN-EL15C Z8 batteries to match the life of a single Z9 battery based on my usage.

Last edited:
Right, and I’m assuming that’s without or with very little reviewing of the images. I’ve gotten from 700 to over 10,000 shots on a single charge from my Z9’s larger battery, the difference being the amount of chimping and fiddling with menu settings.

BTW, I estimate that it takes about 2-1/2 to three EN-EL15C Z8 batteries to match the life of a single Z9 battery based on my usage.
Exactly. No chimping, no fiddling with settings, none of that. Just shooting.

Back