BCG Movement of Posts?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Abinoone

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I’m curious whether BCG moderators are moving posts from one category to another, or if my alleged mind just continues its long slide into geezerdom? Maybe both! 😳 In any event, I’m sometimes finding it very confusing to be following a thread, then having it seem to disappear, say from the General Discussion category to somewhere else, and not be able to find it again. While I understand the need for housekeeping, I’m wondering if in the effort to keep things tidy it‘s also confusing folks. Just a random observation - certainly intended as no criticism of this outstanding photography website and forum!

I have not noticed posts being moved to different categories. In a couple instances, though, moderaters have deleted threads completely because the discussion went downhill and started getting nasty. The most recent one that comes to mind is the thread on ethics of wildlife photography.

Followup: I have also noticed the search feature inside BCG is not robust and sometimes when I enter a search for an existing thread it does not come up. However when I enter that same search in either Google or DuckDuckGo and include the term Backcountry Gallery, I find it.

I’m curious whether BCG moderators are moving posts from one category to another, or if my alleged mind just continues its long slide into geezerdom? Maybe both! 😳 In any event, I’m sometimes finding it very confusing to be following a thread, then having it seem to disappear, say from the General Discussion category to somewhere else, and not be able to find it again. While I understand the need for housekeeping, I’m wondering if in the effort to keep things tidy it‘s also confusing folks. Just a random observation - certainly intended as no criticism of this outstanding photography website and forum!
On occasion a thread may be moved if it was placed in a less-than appropriate forum. Some examples:

Photo sharing thread posted in General Discussion forum
Request for critique not posted in Critique forum
Video topic not placed in the Video forum
etc

Generally an explanation is provided to the OP explaining why the move was made.

These kind of moderation activities are the exception and not the rule.... Just a bit a housekeeping to keep the site organized. ;)

Back