Bear Photos

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

You typed that you have Z 600 and 800 f6.5 but I assume you meant f6.3 ? Also there is no Z 200-400 f4.5, but there is an F 200-400 f4. Is that what you meant?

I have never been, but perhaps if you add Brooks Falls to the title you might get more replies?

Hi Steve, Welcome to the forum! You’ll find excellent advice and experience here, other than mine..🤓 First, is this a “canned tour” where you will be in a group and shooting from a viewing platform? Places like the McNeil River feature viewing areas on elevated decks for clients to get shots of bears fishing. Your 600mm would give you tight shots, 80-400mm 👍 if this is the shooting scenario. The bears are frequently less than 50 yards and used to humans.

If your trip is NOT a canned tour and you are doing this on your own safety should be the primary concern. Long glass is likely better… Enjoy your trip!

Hi Steve, Welcome to the forum! You’ll find excellent advice and experience here, other than mine..🤓 First, is this a “canned tour” where you will be in a group and shooting from a viewing platform? Places like the McNeil River feature viewing areas on elevated decks for clients to get shots of bears fishing. Your 600mm would give you tight shots, 80-400mm 👍 if this is the shooting scenario. The bears are frequently less than 50 yards and used to humans.

If your trip is NOT a canned tour and you are doing this on your own safety should be the primary concern. Long glass is likely better… Enjoy your trip!

Brooks Falls is, I thought, a boardwalk above the bears unless it's changed since I visited a few years back. There's no need for a tour and safety isn't a concern.

You typed that you have Z 600 and 800 f6.5 but I assume you meant f6.3 ? Also there is no Z 200-400 f4.5, but there is an F 200-400 f4. Is that what you meant?

I have never been, but perhaps if you add Brooks Falls to the title you might get more replies?
Sorry about my poor typing skills and failure to proof read.

Yes the 800mm is 6.3 and the the zoom lens is 100-400 f4.5.

From the initial comments I think the 600mm & 100-400mm will be my choice. I prefer to get closeup action photos with max details.

I did a small boat trip last year with Four friends, we did some of the really remote areas of the SE Katmai. No crowds or controls. Best area was a small stream at Geographic Harbor just off the Shelikof Strait. Lots of Bears, very close up and seemly unconcerned about us. The boat captain was also the guide. I used my 600mm the most, did not use the 800mm much. I had a day trip scheduled to Brooks Falls, however poor weather for three days caused cancellation but the tour operator gave me a refund and a rain check for 50% off on a return trip. Headed to Alaska July 7-12.

i have been following Steve Perry for years and have benefited greatly from his guidance and tips. I have usually avoided public forums as they sometimes get off track . I watched this forum for a while and it seems Better moderated than others.

Thanks for letting me in.

Steve

I was at Brooks Falls in later July of 2021. Part of a trip to Katmai NP to photograph bears. There was a very large sockeye salmon run that year (a record at the time, since broken). As a result, there were lots of bears at and near the falls — I counted 26 at one time.

There were also lots of people there. When our float plane from Iliamna landed, there were 26 float planes there. But we landed in the afternoon and already many people were starting to leave.

There were two viewing platforms for the falls. One quite close and one farther away. The rangers did timed access to the closer platform when we were first there, but it got less busy as the afternoon wore on.

At the falls I used a Z7II with the Z 70-200 zoom and the Z 1.4x or the Z 2x TC (the Z 100-400 was not out then) and a D850 with the 500 mm PF.

The closer platform is where most people take photos of the bears catching salmon as the salmon leap up the falls. On this platform, I mostly used the Z7II and the Z 70-200 mm with the Z 2x TC. Most of my shots were taken from 230 mm to 400 mm. Some of the bigger, experienced bears have favorite fishing places on the side of the falls closer to the platform. When they arrive, the other bears give way so the big guys can have their favorite spots. My favorite shot of a bear on the falls was one of these bears and it was taken at 270 mm. I used both ends of the zoom here — some bears were farther away. I also took some scenic shots without the 2x TC. I took some shots here with the D850 and 500 mm PF, for bears that were farther way and to get some closeups of a bear’s head, salmon and claws. [I was on the back row at this platform. Some people were a bit closer.]

I also liked the platform that was farther away from the falls. It was less busy and there was (at least when I was there) no time restriction on access. I used the Z7II, Z 70-200 mm zoom, and TCs for the bears that were closer to the platform. I also used the D850 and 500 mm PF here. One thing I liked at this platform was that it had a nice view toward the falls, albeit from a farther distance. I took some photos of bears catching salmon at the falls from this angle — more of a head on view than from the side. It was interesting and different from most of the bear-catching-salmon photos from the falls. I only wish that I had put the F 1.4x TC on the 500 mm PF for these shots, as I ended cropping the photos of bears fishing at the falls a fair amount, due to the longer distance.

If I were going back now, I would take 2 bodies (for me that would likely be a Z9 and Z8 or 2 Z8s). For lenses, I would take the Z 100-400 mm zoom and the Z 600 mm PF. I’d also take the Z 24-120 mm zoom and probably throw in the Z 1.4x TC. A simpler kit might be the Z 24-120 mm zoom and the Z 180-600 mm zoom. (For other parts of Katmai, I might consider the Z 400 mm TC or the Z 800 mm PF, but you can’t carry everything and there can be weight limits on small planes.)

Good luck. If the salmon are there, the bears will be too. While busy, it’s an amazing place.

Last edited:
Sorry about my poor typing skills and failure to proof read.

Yes the 800mm is 6.3 and the the zoom lens is 100-400 f4.5.

From the initial comments I think the 600mm & 100-400mm will be my choice. I prefer to get closeup action photos with max details.

I did a small boat trip last year with Four friends, we did some of the really remote areas of the SE Katmai. No crowds or controls. Best area was a small stream at Geographic Harbor just off the Shelikof Strait. Lots of Bears, very close up and seemly unconcerned about us. The boat captain was also the guide. I used my 600mm the most, did not use the 800mm much. I had a day trip scheduled to Brooks Falls, however poor weather for three days caused cancellation but the tour operator gave me a refund and a rain check for 50% off on a return trip. Headed to Alaska July 7-12.

i have been following Steve Perry for years and have benefited greatly from his guidance and tips. I have usually avoided public forums as they sometimes get off track . I watched this forum for a while and it seems Better moderated than others.

Thanks for letting me in.

Steve
Having been to AK and Katmai although not Brooks…I agree. The viewing platform isn’t that far and the 600 won’t get you full body shots I don’t believe but head/shoulder portraits..the 100-400 or 180-600 if you have that will be an excellent companion.

The dates that you're going should be prime time for bear activity. Keep in mind during that timeframe you won't be allowed to use a tripod. I'd recommend a monopod so you can stay trained on bears for a long time waiting for them to grab a fish.

As far as lenses if you have two bodies the 600 on one and 100-400 on another would be optimum. If you only have the one body you might consider either renting a 180-600 or an F mount 180-400mm TC. Or rent a second body and use the lenses that you've got. My advice is to rent the second body. It's great to have the backup plus then you can go with the lenses that you're used to shooting. If you're spending the night in Anchorage before and after the trip to Brooks you can rent from Stewart's Photo shop here in town. They have a web site and you can go on it and reserve the camera for the dates needed.

Back