If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Marco74

Saturday, I spent some time in Switzerland to take photos of the bearded vulture and learn how to set the Z9 best for my use.
I have not been so lucky, and the vulture pass has passed quite far.
Moreover, my longest lens at the moment is the 500 PF; I will pick up the new 600 Z on Saturday.
But I'm still quite happy with the result. Next time it will be better.
While waiting for the protagonist of the day, I also took some shots of a supremely confident Accentor.

DSC_8153.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

DSC_8184.jpg

DSC_8503-LF.jpg

DSC_8532-LN.jpg

DSC_8538.jpg

DSC_8762.jpg

As for the last photo, I want to propose this one, where the bearded vulture is very far away. Many may not like it, but it's an interesting shot because of the landscape.

DSC_8405-LN.jpg

I would consider myself lucky to see one that well regardless of the focal length/crop used! This bird is quite a rarity. Congrats on getting some shots.
Thanks, Ivan. In the north of Italy, Switzerland and France, the vulture is quite common.
I know three different zones that are easy to see, but photographing is a different story.
You need to be so lucky that it passes close to you and not at a km of distance. I always see it in other places in the last three weeks, but only the last one was not too far from me.
January is one of the best to see because in that month, the adult starts to build the nest, and at the end of the month, more or less, they have the eggs. So, from February, the percentage to see it is reduced by half because one family remains in the nest.

Not portrait shots, but the landscape makes for great BIF shots, regardless. Very nice.
You have the right. It is a step forward in our photography vision. When I started this type of photography in the past, I was obsessed with portrait shot with the best quality available.
Then, I learned to think differently. In this case, I took the first two photos to fill the time waiting for the vulture, and the small bard was close to mine. :)

This is a beautiful set, Marco. Maybe a blessing in disguise that the vultures didn't come closer. You captured them in their element.
Thanks, Dan.
I love vultures; they are fantastic birds, but planning to photograph them is an entirely different story.
It is a subject that requires a lot of patience and sacrifice, especially in this period of the year.
Last Saturday, to go to that place in Switzerland, I woke up at 4.20 in the morning to arrive at the location around 9 am, after several hours spent on the road.
Then arrived at the photographic spot; I waited still in the cold and with an icy wind for 5 hours before being able to see it. Animals are not like trains; there is no fixed timetable.
Despite everything, I'm happy with the result, but it's not a type of photography I constantly want to repeat every week.