Bears Bears Bears?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

First thanks to all who answered my questions about my recent Botswana (Pangolin) trip. It was fantastic. Now I am now starting the planning for my next adventure being grizzly's/brown bears.

Does anyone have any recommendations on location/lodges/phototour etc.

I am looking at BC or Alaska at the moment as opposed to Yellowstone/Teton, etc

I am looking for lower density higher quality photo experience so Brooks Falls is also not on the list.

First thanks to all who answered my questions about my recent Botswana (Pangolin) trip. It was fantastic. Now I am now starting the planning for my next adventure being grizzly's/brown bears.

Does anyone have any recommendations on location/lodges/phototour etc.

I am looking at BC or Alaska at the moment as opposed to Yellowstone/Teton, etc

I am looking for lower density higher quality photo experience so Brooks Falls is also not on the list.
My favorite is Lake Clark, either Homestead or Silver Salmon Creek Lodge. A bit pricey, can book directly (hard) or though one of the many photo groups who go there. Have been twice. Photos on my Flickr site if interested:

My favorite is Lake Clark, either Homestead or Silver Salmon Creek Lodge. A bit pricey, can book directly (hard) or though one of the many photo groups who go there. Have been twice. Photos on my Flickr site if interested:
Take a look at Lake Clark as @ricardo00 suggests. I was there at Silver Salmon Creek Lodge last month and it was great. I’ve also spent lots of time at Katmai National Park and recommend it highly. My preference is to stay on Kodiak Island and fly to Katmai each morning. The downside of this approach is missing low light in the morning and evening and the advantage is that you have far greater mobility, allowing you to avoid crowds and find bears in different settings. If this option interests you, call Jennifer Culbertson at Kodiak Island Expeditions. She’s an excellent guide.

In BC, take a look at Khutzeymateen Grizzly Bear Sanctuary. I was there a couple of years ago and will be going again next Spring. Khutzeymateen Inlet is very beautiful and there are lots of bears, harbor seals, birds and occasionally orcas. it’s important to note that all bear viewing and photography is done from Zodiacs. There is one floating lodge in the inlet and one boat operates there. Like Lake Clark, they are mostly booked by photo groups.

Good luck with your decision, but you can’t go wrong with any of these choices!

If you want few people, there is a place called Kodiak Brown Bear Center. We went once and it is amazing, you have your own cabin and the bears sometimes visit the camp. Alternatively they take you out to various areas. It is limited (or at least when we went) to 8 people I believe (we actually were the only ones there when we went). Our cabin was near a bald eagle nest and in the mornings we had loons waking us up.

Some photos on my flickr from there:

A panoramic of the KBBC as we returned on their skiff:

Attachments

• IMG_1663.jpg
    IMG_1663.jpg
    324.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back