If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I'm new to wildlife photography, and working to gain some skills before a 12 day trip to Botswana this fall. I'm reading Steve's books, and practicing on local Minnesota wildlife. Don't know about the results, but i sure am having fun.
Oriole_resized_male.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
Oriole_resized.jpg
female_hummingbird_resized.jpg
Loon_resized.jpg

A very good start, and there's nothing wrong with most of these images. I can mention one thing based on my own experiences: If only parts of a bird are white it's very easy to blow the whites in strong light, as you can see in the image of the hummer. The white plastic flower-shaped port on the feeder is similarly overexposed, so in that case you needed to dial in negative exposure compensation of around -1.3 to -1.7. It makes more sense to lighten up underexposed shadow areas later in post processing.

The loon is fine, but I also can't tell you how many times I blew out the whites on their necks for lack of sufficient negative exposure comp.
Botswana is a trip of a lifetime. Enjoy! I toured the Okavango (Moremi, Savuti, Chobe game reserves) in 1981 and I've always wanted to go back.