Best alternative to Topaz AI

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hi,
The more they "upgrade" topaz ai the more it drives me batty. I use DX0 for noise but sometimes need to sharpen. Any recommendations for a good alternative?

I have Z8, use lightroom classic to process.

Thanks

Tami

I gave up Topaz as well because for everything they fixed they broke something.

For LRC, I am at the computer now an I am pasting an example. On my preset for importing I set masking to 100 which means sharpening is only applied to transition areas and I then back off from that meaning more sharpening is applied. The default is 0 so everything is sharpened. I am thinking of changing it to 80. In any event, it works very well for most cases.
1719749951831.png

If you use Photoshop this is a gem and a free action for it is included - Vivid Light Sharpening. Very easy to use and infinitely adjustable, including masking. If I take an image to PS, I am working it harder and this is what I use.

Dxo photolab also sharpens, both as part of the lens correction and a separate slider similar to unsharp mask. In usage I skip the unsharp mask part in photolab but use my final layer in photoshop for reversible output sharpening either smart sharpen or Tooaz sharpen.

As Bill said, DxO photolab also sharpens. Their Nik 7 collection contains the Nik 7 Sharpener Output app which is even better than Topaz AI to my eyes.
Chris Wright has a recent video which examines sharpening with both photolab and also the Nik 7 collection apps.:
The Nik 7 collection can be used as a standalone program as well.

Back