Best Bang For Buck Wildlife/Bird Destinations

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Open to all locations. Say 6,000 for 10 days
I would say that Africa has the highest hit rate for wildlife photographers of anywhere I have been. One can do self driving tours in Kruger National Park and stay in relatively low cost hotels nearby. Depending on where you are flying from, not sure how much a flight to JOB would cost you ($1,400 from JFK, $500 for a car rental, leaving several hundred dollars a day for food and lodging), so possibly you could do it for around $6,000- $8,000.

Last edited:
Hands down South America arranged directly with a local guide photographer there like Javier Zurita in Ecuador rather than through a U.S. group where you “pay the middleman”. For birds but also primates this is a very target rich environment—I have not found better value anywhere else in the world.

I understand what you're asking for and I don't have a lot to add on destinations.

However, I have found my best destinations for wildlife and nature photography typically are within a couple hours drive of my house. The reason is I know my local wildlife, I know their patterns and on any given day or time of year, I have a pretty good idea what is out there, and what they tend to be doing. Just enough surprises to keep things interesting but, examples would be Warbler migration in April and May. go to forested areas along the Ohio and Miami rivers and there are dozens in the trees, in late October and November, whitetail deer rut is on, it's the best opportunity to photograph mature bucks since they lose all sense of self control during the mating frenzy. I could go on but you get the idea. Again, not trying to counter the great advice offered as destinations but I did want to point out we frequently forget the wildlife opportunities in our back yard. Remember, what is exotic to us, is just common everyday wildlife to a person who lives there.

I can also recommend Carl Donahue with Expeditions Alaska. I've done bubble-feeding whales with him and bears at Katmai NP. He has a great sense of humor and I think his tours are still affordable. He does many different kinds of tours, both wildlife and landscape.

For landscape, both Michael Fry and Gary Hart are good people, although I have not looked at their prices recently as I've been focusing on wildlife. They are both located in California.

And, of course, the Costa Rica (I went twice) tours put on by Steve! Great guy to travel with, as is Rose!!

Open to all locations. Say 6,000 for 10 days

A 2 way flight from JFK(NY) to Bucharest(Romania) seems to be less than 1000 USD.

5000 $ easily buys you 3 weeks of wildlife shooting around here.

Country is part of the EU so it is pretty safe (safer than the UK, Belgium or Germany for example) and most people are fluent in English.

In May there is the bird migration and mating season in the Danube Delta so you got millions of birds descending from everywhere (pelicans, all manners of herons, wading birds, kingfishers, bee-eaters and so on, not to mention otters and wild hogs).

The toughest part is to get a guide for all of it, as I don't think there are local photographers organizing tours for foreigners... hmmm.

Depending on the season, you can go in the span of 24h from shooting brown bears, buffalo and deer to shooting flamingos or vultures.

Beer is cheap (at least compared to the rest of the EU) and wine is decent too :).

A 2 way flight from JFK(NY) to Bucharest(Romania) seems to be less than 1000 USD.

Country is part of the EU so it is pretty safe (safer than the UK, Belgium or Germany for example) and most people are fluent in English.

In May there is the bird migration and mating season in the Danube Delta so you got millions of birds descending from everywhere (pelicans, all manners of herons, wading birds, kingfishers, bee-eaters and so on, not to mention otters and wild hogs).

The toughest part is to get a guide for all of it, as I don't think there are local photographers organizing tours for foreigners... hmmm.

Depending on the season, you can go in the span of 24h from shooting brown bears, buffalo and deer to shooting flamingos or vultures.

Beer is cheap (at least compared to the rest of the EU) and wine is decent too :).
You can with Saker tours. I have written diaries about many trips I did in Europe and further afield.

Yes, I have been thinking about this area. Also, Gerard Gorman leads tours in Vienna and Hungary. He’s a woodpecker guy.

Yes, I have been thinking about this area. Also, Gerard Gorman leads tours in Vienna and Hungary. He’s a woodpecker
$6000 ? You can get a fantastic trip in Europe (Spain) for a fraction of that amount including hotel and access to 20+ photo hides. It has always surprised me the low number of US photographers visiting this part of Europe. Spain is by far the best country in Europe for nature photography

the best / cheapest I've done are hands down Tetons/Yellowstone in May or October, and Magee Marsh in May. both will allow even the unluckiest individual to take thousands of shots and fill plenty of memory cards. and you can get some real cool stuff as well.

Sax Zim Bog in January comes in third - lots of opportunities for different subjects, but not nearly as densely populated as the other two.

I'd imagine Africa and South America are probably pretty good too, but they're on my list for the future. Not ones I've done so far. Also price will be considerably higher for those destination trips.

Last edited:
I'd imagine Africa and South America are probably pretty good too, but they're on my list for the future. Not ones I've done so far. Also price will be considerably higher for those destination trips.
You might be surprised how economically many parts of South and Central America can be done with local guides. And specifically speaking of birds these countries are the definition of a target-rich environment—way more than any of the seven African countries I have been to.

If you are interested in Snowy and Great Gray Owls, I offer tours out of Winnipeg, Manitoba. I limit each tour to a maximum of 3 people, and the owl's welfare is always my 1st priority. I am almost sold out of my February 3-day tours, two days for Great Gray Owls and one for Snowy Owls. The tour is $1,300 CND per person plus applicable taxes. You can send me a private message or visit my website for more information. www.wpotrebkaphotography.com

Attachments

• _A1_2008-Enhanced-NR.jpg
    _A1_2008-Enhanced-NR.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 847
If you are interested in Snowy and Great Gray Owls, I offer tours out of Winnipeg, Manitoba. I limit each tour to a maximum of 3 people, and the owl's welfare is always my 1st priority. I am almost sold out of my February 3-day tours, two days for Great Gray Owls and one for Snowy Owls. The tour is $1,300 CND per person plus applicable taxes. You can send me a private message or visit my website for more information. www.wpotrebkaphotography.com
Do you get any other species of Owl on your trips, Saw Whet, Boreal or Screech etc as bonuses? I was looking at Sax Zim bog as a potential (not particularly near future) destination. But I am gathering all information I can on further destinations and guides etc to have to hand when that day comes...

Do you get any other species of Owl on your trips, Saw Whet, Boreal or Screech etc as bonuses? I was looking at Sax Zim bog as a potential (not particularly near future) destination. But I am gathering all information I can on further destinations and guides etc to have to hand when that day comes...
While it is impossible to predict, we have seen Northern Hawk, Great Horned, Screech and Northern Saw-whet on past tours. The most common bonus owl we see is the Northern Hawk Owl. We have also seen wolves, coyotes, red foxes, eagles, fishers, pine martens, and other species that are too numerous to mention.

Attachments

• _A1_6416-Edit.jpg
    _A1_6416-Edit.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 821
  • _A1_4575-Edit.jpg
    _A1_4575-Edit.jpg
    773.6 KB · Views: 13
  • _A1_7725.jpg
    _A1_7725.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
For birds, especially waders, check out Florida in the Spring when wading birds are breeding and nesting. There are tons of places to photograph them. Here’s a few:

Alligator Farm - St Augustine. Don’t judge this book by its cover - This unassuming little zoo on the outskirts of St Augustine’s city center encompasses a fantastic wading bird rookery. Best shooting is early and late in the day. Get an extended photographer pass. While you’re there check out St Augustine Beach and the historic fort.

Fort Desoto Park near St. Petersburg. Large county park with multiple habitats for shooting waders, pelicans, skimmers and a host of other birds. Also enjoy the beaches and watch/photograph the kite surfers. There’s also a fine art museum and botanical garden in nearby Sarasota.
And check various locations both North and South from here along the Gulf coast for viewing manatees.

Ding Darling National Wildlife Refuge near Sanibel Island. Excellent wetlands and coastal bird photography along with shell collecting beaches and nice vacation accommodations. Just be wary of rush our traffic at the main bridge to the island!

Everglades City. Great place to get airboat rides and lots of nearby places to shoot birds, gators, manatees and other wildlife. A couple local favorite places for driving and shooting near the car are Turner Road (especially early and late in day) and Loop Rd Scenic Drive. The Shark Valley portion of Everglades National Park is also nearby.

There are loads of other places in Florida from the Keys and Everglades to the Panhandle to visit and photograph birds, wildlife, gardens and landscapes, etc.

Last edited:
For birds I'd say Central or South America arranging things yourself with lodges and local guides. Way less money than paying a US based photographer. But there is value if you don't want to do all the research and bookings yourself to just pay for a US based photographer run trip and not have to worry about anything other than making the flights.

In the US, I'd say Florida is the best that I've been for a good variety and many different locations to explore.

Back