Best deal and secure iCloud and home backup?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Activert

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I have been using external hard drives to back up all my raw data photos as well my Capture One and Lightroom catalogues . I am someone who like to keep every shot I take even if I have 20 photos of the same animal that look exactly the same. I only delete the out of focus ones, that I know there is nothing can be done to improve them. I have 16 Lacie External drives that vary from 4 TB to 14 TB. I also have few Sandisk extrême pro SSD. I keep at home two copies of each dossier and the third one is at the house of a friend. With All that, today I could not find any space on my drives to transfer my photos from my memory cards.
I spend all day looking at Cloud backup options and also at a system for my home desk where I can have a copy of everything in it with extra space for future need. I was really lost in all the stuff I found on internet. I think, I need maybe 15 TB space for the Cloud ( where I can only download my work from my best destinations). For home, I was looking at Synology NAS and OWC thunderbalt. I know OWC works well with Mac, but I don’t know about Synology. I understand both systems are so different.
I do really appreciate it if those of you who have a lot of data and like me likes to keep everything, if you can share with me what solution are you using. Thank you so much for your help, your advice and your experience with any backup systems you are using

I will comment on part of the issue. I use Backblaze for my off site backup and have been using it for a long time. I now currently have about 8TB of storage in my Backblaze account but it has had a number of years to grow to that capacity. Backblaze requires a fast upload speed in order to get your files to the cloud. Check your internet upload speed, not just your internet speed, but specifically the upload speed. Uploading 15TB at 30Mbs will take about 50 days, if you upload speed is only 10 it will take 150 days.

Here is another discussion about Backblaze
Wow this long! My upload speed is up to 100Mbs. But it never reach this high. So many days to upload.
Thanks for the info I really appreciate it a lot.
I checked Blackblaze and their price is very good compare to other compagnies

Wow this long! My upload speed is up to 100Mbs. But it never reach this high. So many days to upload.
Thanks for the info I really appreciate it a lot.
I checked Blackblaze and their price is very good compare to other compagnies
I will comment on part of the issue. I use Backblaze for my off site backup and have been using it for a long time. I now currently have about 8TB of storage in my Backblaze account but it has had a number of years to grow to that capacity. Backblaze requires a fast upload speed in order to get your files to the cloud. Check your internet upload speed, not just your internet speed, but specifically the upload speed. Uploading 15TB at 30Mbs will take about 50 days, if you upload speed is only 10 it will take 150 days.

Here is another discussion about Backblaze
Oups, I made a mistake, my download is 100Mbs, and my upload is 10Mbs which is way too slow. So it will take more than a year to upload my document. I should start slowly uploading the most important document first . Thank you Marty

If you go for a Synology, then it has various options for you to bakcup to the cloud. Hyper backup can backup to many external services like dropbox, AWS S3, Google Drive, Azure, etc.

If you go for a Synology, then it has various options for you to bakcup to the cloud. Hyper backup can backup to many external services like dropbox, AWS S3, Google Drive, Azure, etc.
Thank you! That I think I will do. However when I look at some Synology model, It mentionne that they work with Windows and I don’t see if they work on Mac. I am à Mac user only.

I am also a Mac user for many years and a Synology works very well with my Mac.

I have an additional disk (or you could use a portion of a raid array, I just had an additional spare disk) that I use for Time Machine and that works well.
I also copy files to the NAS and all of that is backed up to external storage.

I have not yet played with Synology Drive, but that has the capability to keep files in sync. Store them locally and sync any changes (bi-directional) and recently they added the option to have some files local, some purely on the NAS, based on your preference. Similar to what Box and OneDrive allow you to do.

Check out
if you want to learn more about that feature.

I am also a Mac user for many years and a Synology works very well with my Mac.

I have an additional disk (or you could use a portion of a raid array, I just had an additional spare disk) that I use for Time Machine and that works well.
I also copy files to the NAS and all of that is backed up to external storage.

I have not yet played with Synology Drive, but that has the capability to keep files in sync. Store them locally and sync any changes (bi-directional) and recently they added the option to have some files local, some purely on the NAS, based on your preference. Similar to what Box and OneDrive allow you to do.

Check out
if you want to learn more about that feature.
Thank so much! That is very helpful! i think that what I am going to do

Back