Best easiest hide?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

MikeA

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I am thinking of buying a hide that is easy to use and a pop up type. Does anybody here have any suggestion? I was thinking of maybe Nitehawk, which already has an integrated chair? Birds & animals are so shy here and I need to get closer, even with my 600 mm.

how about something like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304554160521

there's a lot of over priced hides out there
This one looks very solid.

But there are cerain cheap hides in 30 GBP range (I have one myself) just suitable for one project ... they will apart very quickly. Butteo hides are solid and made to last.
The cheap ones obviously have one perk - they are cheap and I have no issues leaving them in the field. If it gets stolen/vandalised, no biggie.

I am thinking of buying a hide that is easy to use and a pop up type. Does anybody here have any suggestion? I was thinking of maybe Nitehawk, which already has an integrated chair? Birds & animals are so shy here and I need to get closer, even with my 600 mm.
Mike, I don’t own one but at one I was considering one of these. Check it out. Seems easy to set up.

Pop up blinds (hides) seem to immediately work well for birds. In my experience, for animals (deer, etc) it takes time for them to adjust to something new in their environment. There are always exceptions. I have set up a pop up blind and had wild Rio Grand Turkey walk right up to it. Whereas, Whitetail Deer will notice it immediately and shy away. After a week or two, the deer become accustomed to it. Then, there is always their nose. Have to play the wind. Always.

Over the weekend, I went out on my pasture to get some shots of Whitetails. I made a makeshift hide with cedar limbs among a small mesquite, yucca, and ephedra. It seemed like it would work great. But, as deer came through, they did notice "something" was different. I was down wind, and they could not smell me. But, a couple of them were certain that something had changed in their living room. Including this little doe. She never figured out what it was. But, she did leave after a bit. Alert-doe.jpgHide.jpg

There have been a couple of threads on this. Easiest, most compact, lightest options are things like a ghillie or a lenscoat lens hide. Popups are another conversation depending on your location/needs.

I've got a tragopan hide. Relatively easy to put up, but far from 'pop up' style by a long shot. For quick and easy I wear (standing or in a chair) camo with ghillie suit and camo or ghillie covers for gear and tripod (most all tragopan stuff). More than once I've spoken to people chatting away next to me and have startled them -- they not 'seeing' me LOL

Pop up blinds (hides) seem to immediately work well for birds. In my experience, for animals (deer, etc) it takes time for them to adjust to something new in their environment. There are always exceptions. I have set up a pop up blind and had wild Rio Grand Turkey walk right up to it. Whereas, Whitetail Deer will notice it immediately and shy away. After a week or two, the deer become accustomed to it. Then, there is always their nose. Have to play the wind. Always.

Over the weekend, I went out on my pasture to get some shots of Whitetails. I made a makeshift hide with cedar limbs among a small mesquite, yucca, and ephedra. It seemed like it would work great. But, as deer came through, they did notice "something" was different. I was down wind, and they could not smell me. But, a couple of them were certain that something had changed in their living room. Including this little doe. She never figured out what it was. But, she did leave after a bit.View attachment 80232View attachment 80231
Yup….you’ve been made! Ears, eyes and nose gotcha! Nice natural hide B…..

Tragopan V6 is great. Lightweight, effective, and very easy to set up (and take down!).

If you want simple and inexpensive, I’d suggest the Ameristep doghouse. For a more elaborate and high dollar blind Tragopan offers a wide variety of high-quality items.

I have that exact model Ameristep, purchased at a hardware store here in Lake Charles, LA. As you can see, very easy setup and takedown. I bring two cameras in mine: the Z9/800mm f/5.6 mounted on a tripod, and the D5/500mmPF for handheld shots out of the side windows. I’m 5’10”, 193 lbs and it’s snug, but not uncomfortable.
IMG_3359.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Birds come within inches and I’ve actually had two land on top. Keeps the cold out pretty well, and mosquitos or other pests. If you’re in direct sunlight, tends to get pretty warm if you don’t open the side windows for ventilation. I’ve got plans to modify my windows with removable camo netting. Also inside, there is a cup holder on the chair handle, and a zippered bag on each side for storage. Comes with metal stakes if you need for wind situations.

They also make a slightly larger 2-seater, which is equally as easy, just larger.

I have that exact model Ameristep, purchased at a hardware store here in Lake Charles, LA. As you can see, very easy setup and takedown. I bring two cameras in mine: the Z9/800mm f/5.6 mounted on a tripod, and the D5/500mmPF for handheld shots out of the side windows. I’m 5’10”, 193 lbs and it’s snug, but not uncomfortable.
View attachment 80634
Birds come within inches and I’ve actually had two land on top. Keeps the cold out pretty well, and mosquitos or other pests. If you’re in direct sunlight, tends to get pretty warm if you don’t open the side windows for ventilation. I’ve got plans to modify my windows with removable camo netting. Also inside, there is a cup holder on the chair handle, and a zippered bag on each side for storage. Comes with metal stakes if you need for wind situations.

They also make a slightly larger 2-seater, which is equally as easy, just larger.

The Ameristep looks very interesting. Small and easy to set up. I'll definitely check into this.

Also, has anyone ever tried TideWe Blinds. They also look interesting. They say they are "see thru" and have silent windows, and are currently on sale. The only disadvantage I can see is that they are very large (even the small ones). TideWe Blinds

Last edited:
The Ameristep looks very interesting. Small and easy to set up. I'll definitely check into this.

Also, has anyone ever tried TideWe Blinds. They also look interesting. They say they are "see thru" and have silent windows, and are currently on sale. The only disadvantage I can see is that they are very large (even the small ones). TideWe Blinds
Morning Bill! I just glanced over the TideWe Blinds on sale. Heck of a price savings, and I like the concept, but wish it were just a bit smaller. That what kept me from buying the two-man Ameristep.

Back