Best lens for still & video -Mark smith

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

The part he left out is that for video, on the A1, the apsc crop mode is actually higher quality than full frame (at least at 4K/30 and 4K/60p) so you can actually easily make the lens into a 300-900mm and improve image quality. Unless I need 200mm, I shoot in crop mode on the A1. Now I wouldn’t dare try and handhold video at 900mm.

The part he left out is that for video, on the A1, the apsc crop mode is actually higher quality than full frame (at least at 4K/30 and 4K/60p) so you can actually easily make the lens into a 300-900mm and improve image quality. Unless I need 200mm, I shoot in crop mode on the A1. Now I wouldn’t dare try and handhold video at 900mm.
Where can find more details about video shooting in A1 ?

Handheld Sony wildlife photography is best done slowed down. Stabilization isn't great if publishing in real time. Last weekend I started to try out handheld video with the A1. Used some 4K120 and some S&Q at 2.5x and 5x slowdown. Seemed to work fairly well. I just can't bring myself to take the time to edit it or produce something useful at this point. Maybe I'll get more into it in the future. I used the 600GM handheld and was just shooting gulls flying around.

I’ve shot some stuff with the A1 (not really my thing) but shot in 8k then stablized in post, knowing I had the room to stabilize before outputting 4k. I find the in camera stabilization isn’t the best (one thing that i was spoiled with in m43 land).

This short clip of a snowy was really unstable before I did it in post. While I was actually on a tripod it was with a 600mm plus 2x tc and the winds were 20-30 mph. The lens was like a sail and I still had to hold down everything while shooting or the camera was all over the place.

Handheld Sony wildlife photography is best done slowed down. Stabilization isn't great if publishing in real time. Last weekend I started to try out handheld video with the A1. Used some 4K120 and some S&Q at 2.5x and 5x slowdown. Seemed to work fairly well. I just can't bring myself to take the time to edit it or produce something useful at this point. Maybe I'll get more into it in the future. I used the 600GM handheld and was just shooting gulls flying around.

Yes, slowing it down is the only real option for handheld I am afraid - and digital stabilization in post, especially with 8K - it's a lot of work and the file sizes are just scary. The good news i that the new MACs M1 do chew through that footage fairly easily so at least it's less of a pain but it's still more than I want to chew most of the time.

I will say, I agree with Mark Smith, for handheld video the 200-600 is a better option (most of the time) than the 600 f:4 - I can do the 600 f;4 on a monopod or a beanbag but not handheld (for video, it's fine for shooting BIF stills)

I’ve shot some stuff with the A1 (not really my thing) but shot in 8k then stablized in post, knowing I had the room to stabilize before outputting 4k. I find the in camera stabilization isn’t the best (one thing that i was spoiled with in m43 land).

This short clip of a snowy was really unstable before I did it in post. While I was actually on a tripod it was with a 600mm plus 2x tc and the winds were 20-30 mph. The lens was like a sail and I still had to hold down everything while shooting or the camera was all over the place.

Yep, my experience as well - but then those 8k files are just massive...

A favorite lens of pro wildlife videographers has long been the Nikon 28-300mm VR lens. It provides a great zoom range of 10 to 1 that works well for many subjects and minimizes lens changes which does not work well with video.

Back