Best places for wildlife in Alabama coast to Florida Panhandle?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I’m thinking of a driving trip next year and looking for some good spots that aren’t too difficult to access. Does anyone have any suggestions? The timeframe would probably be late March to mid April most likely. I saw Gulf Shores AL with Bon Secours and Audubon Bird Sanctuary but the one seems to have limited hours and the other apparently lets people have their dogs unleashed so that doesn’t sound like a good place to be. I’ve seen a few other recommendations but when I search for pics they aren’t very inspiring. Or should I look elsewhere?

Mid April-early May are the best times to find Neotropical Migrants on Dauphin Island south of Mobile, AL. Like most migrant traps, the activity is sporadic but can be quite good.

The people there are friendly; so most everyone who's a birder or photographer will point you in the direction of the latest hotspots... which tend to center around which plants are producing food at that time. Bottlebrush trees and later mulberry trees will often be productive to find birds like Prothonotary, Hooded, Nashville, and Palm Warblers with an occasional Cape May mixed in. These same plants also attract Summer and Scarlett Tanagers, Orchard Orioles, and sometimes Baltimore Orioles, Cedar Waxwings and Indigo Buntings. Other warblers/migrants can be found in wooded areas like the Shell Mounds and the Goat Tree.

Look for the parking lot full of cars near at the Shell Mound and ask around: People will tell you where to go... In a good way. :)

Some sample images from the area:

Maybe not your “cup of tea” but in case you’re looking for some variety in how you spend your time, the Naval Air Station Pensacola is home to the “Blue Angels“, the Navy’s famous air acrobatic demonstration team, in the immediate vicinity of where you are thinking about going. My son and his family on school break in Chicago were there during the last week of March at a condo on the beach. A friend of theirs gave them directions to some state park or picnic area (whatever) that was fairly close to the airfield which is real close to the AL-FL state-line. They got a free private airshow of the Blue Angels as they were practicing their maneuvers. Don’t know how they learned the practice schedule. There were marshes and the like around in case the FA-18s get too ‘boring’ to watch. Just a suggestion. Enjoy.

Last edited:
Wakulla Springs State Park in FL panhandle has electrically powered pontoon watercraft with which they do wildlife tours on the river. The electric drive system is quiet and nearly vibration-free. My tip: hope for rain because that will minimize number of people on the boat and the driver/guide will be able to get you closer to gators/manatees, and some of the birds. With some birds there is no hope of getting much closer as they are on land along the river. Sign up in advance so you're sure to get onto the earliest tour. I got good pics of Hooded Mergansers, Anhingas, Eagles, Ospreys, Herons, Egrets, Ibises, American Bitterns, etc.

Back