Best Seasons for Nature Photography

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Which Season Is Best For Nature Photos?

• Winter

• Spring

• Summer

• Fall/Autumn

Results are only viewable after voting.
Which season to you find best for nature photography. For me, I love the young raptors of summer, the colors of spring and fall, and the migrating birds in winter.
I think you summed it up nicely.... something interesting is happening with wildlife in every season :)

But if I had to pick one it would probably be Autumn for the large mammals in their best winter coats, the colors of the background foliage and typically still other animals and birds around.

Though birds in their spring breeding plumage, Elk, Deer, Moose in velvet in the summer and the awesome winter environments and things like steam off a Bison's nostrils in the dead of winter is all pretty awesome.

Spring, May in particular. Altogether a different level of activity compared to every other season for birding. The winter is finally over, everything is coming back to life, there’s an excitement in the air.

My personal favorite season is Fall though, magical time of year. Migration is good, just nowhere near as Spring’s though.

Spring time is best. I was on 5 fox dens this spring and was so fun spending time with all the kits. The Rookery this season was and is still crazy good. The shad run was great for the Eagles migrating back north. Summer is the slowest season though, my least favorite overall

I find beauty in all seasons. It it a matter of knowing what is available in each season in your area and capturing photos. They all have their own interest

The best season is the time of year I am out shooting. Reminds me of the song from Camelot, If I were ever to leave you. Give a listen -

As someone who mostly photographs birds; spring is obviously a highlight for me every year. However, there's interesting subjects to cover year round.

Which season to you find best for nature photography?
Dry Season :
  • This is when animals congregate at waterholes making it easier for us to photograph them.
  • Grass is usually shorter.
  • Not so good for our gear when changing lenses—so very dusty! (Excellent excuse for a second body.)
In tropical grasslands precipitation often affects animal behaviour more than temperature.

Last edited:
Maybe a different type of answer just for birds. I'm sure others will have additions to this.
  • Spring - best for migrants, shorebird courtship and nesting, wading birds
  • Summer - best for hummingbirds, puffins, osprey
  • Fall - best for fall migrants, raptors
  • Winter - best for sandhill cranes, feeder birds, owls, ducks, wintering shorebirds on southern coasts

Back