Best sensor cleaner?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Thanks, @ingweDave, I will check that out!
I've been using mine successfully for 10 years. I can understand people being nervous using the same item over again but provided you don't ever touch the filaments it works well. It uses static electricity by spinning the filaments and again after use spinning removes any particles. I would not use it if I thought anything on the sensor was not a loose particle. I have probably used it over 200 times, on a dozen cameras and will continue to do so. (BTW I have never changed the battery and it is quite a powerful spin!)

So do the filaments not actually touch the sensor? Or do you mean touching them with your hands, which makes sense.
The filaments touch the sensor and I apply a gentle pressure. This allows the filaments to spread to the width of the sensor, which I really like. I make a single pass and then spin the filaments again. Occasionally I repeat this in the opposite direction. (I have always given the sensor a blow first.) I have never touched the filaments with my fingers but they can be cleaned.

I'm lucky to have a great camera shop not too far from me, YM in Youngstown, OH. They've cleaned the sensor on a camera I had stopped using because of dust spots with stellar results.

Eclipse Fluid by Photographic Solutions + Visible Dust swabs never failed me.
^ This. ^

Mike, remember this: you cleaning a piece of glass, not a sensor. There's always a piece of glass between you and the sensor. You should always take all of the recommended care, of course, but when you realize that you're not actually touching the sensor, that may take some of the pressure off.

So get a fresh bottle of Eclipse (if you find a bottle of their newer E2, do NOT buy it--it was a failed new product that should not be on the shelves anymore). Get the correct sized swabs for your sensor and consider keeping the used ones, which you can use to make new ones with fresh "pec pad" material.
  1. Use a blower first to see if that knocks the dust off
  2. Use only a drop or two of fluid
  3. Wipe the swab one direction, then then other. Once only, each direction.
Chris

For normal cleaning I use Eclipse cleaning solution which works very well and I have been using it for 20 years with no issues. When I had oil on the sensor from the shutter mechanism I needed to use the Visible Dust Smear-Away product but it also left a film behind that I needed to use Eclipse to remove.

I was using the Visible Dust V swabs but now there are equally good ones sold on Amazon at a fraction of the price. I use the full size swab and also the 1/4 inch wide ones for the corners. The particles are most visible at small apertures so I do test shots of the open sky at f/16 to check the sensor.

If with my DSLR cameras I sent them off to be cleaned by Nikon I would reduce my time with having the cameras available for shooting by more than 75%. I am much more careful with the cameras to minimize lens changes outside as much as possible. With my super telephoto lenses I use a lens carrier that allows me to have the camera mounted to the lens and not need to do this in the field. The shutter on the Z9 is a nice touch and much appreciated.

Visible Dust kit, along with a good blow out with a rocket blower first. I also have an Eyelead gel stick which is really good at shifting what the Visible Dust kit can't move.

While editing some of my photos recently, I'm beginning to see the same dust spot showing up in the same area in the frame. It's not horribly bad in this shot, but this is wide open (f5.6), other shots stopped down it gets more noticeable. I've got my camera (D500) set up to sensor clean at startup and shutdown, but apparently that's not enough. Somewhere down in my basement I have a sensor cleaning kit, but it's from when I had my D200 so I'm guessing the chemicals probably aren't the best anymore.

That said, what do all of you use to clean your sensors? I'm not afraid to do the cleaning myself, did it more than once on my D200 (oddly, never had an issue with my D300??). And I know I could Google "the best sensor cleaners of 2022", guess I trust my friends on this site more than I do Google!

View attachment 46842
I prefer to avoid dust. I carry 2 bodies and always change lenses facing downward...

I have cleaned sensors myself but prefer to have the pros do it. Until 5 years ago when I switched from Canon to NIkon I was CPS and lived very close the Chicago-area Canon service center. No brainer. Drive 45 minutes to a checkup. Too bad there is not a Nikon service center in the Chicago area.
Rich I'm in the Chgo So Burbs there is a place called international Camera I have used them for sensor cleaning and had cameras repaired there. They do everything in house all brands of cameras and offer 5% discount if paid in cash and have fast turn around times. Located at 17 N Wabash Ave room 674 312-630-1017

My sensors can be clean today and pick up something tomorrow. Easier to do your own cleaning with V shaped swabs, 1/4" square tip swabs, and Eclipse cleaning solution. It takes less than 10 minutes per camera and the cost of the swabs has decreased dramatically over the years.

I have used Eclipse and Pec Pads for many years. Nothing else has worked as well. Visible Dust solutions do not work for me, and the Arctic Butterfly is in a drawer somewhere in ignominious retirement.

Back