Best system for Video AF with Bird/Eye ID

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hello, folks.

I'm getting more into video lately (mostly reels for Instagram) and testing two systems that I have used for a long time for stills:

1. Sony a1/a6700 + 200-600 or 100-400 (with TC14)
2. OMDS OM-1mk2 + 300F4 Pro

In both cases the settings for C-AF are adjusted to recommended ones, based on numerous YT videos and field reports.

I find that either system is far from perfect. The Sony a1, surprisingly, is slow to squire initial focus in video, but then seems to stick to the bird reasonably well, but not as well as in stills. The a6700 +1.4x+100-400GM is super slow to acquire the focus initially.

OM is faster to acquire the focus initially, but shifts around quite a lot, despite the head/eye indicator boxes being on the bird the whole time. Why it decides to shift to background, for example, while seemingly having a positive Bird ID is unclear. It's just does not appear "sticky".

Question: is Nikon or Canon's AF any better for VIDEO? For example Z6iii or Z8 + 180-600 or 100-400. Or R5 (mk1 or mk2) +100-500.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts/comments

Back