"Best" TV for photos?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

curtf

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I would like a TV for showing photos in a medium sized room. Is a TV appropriate at all? Do you have any experiences and recommendations? What to look for?

Thanks!

We love our travel photos on our Samsung Neo QELD. Guessing anything 4k will be great. I haven’t looked up the color space. Some images looked over sharpened. I just redid them. We use an Apple TV to play them. Go for it. I’m sure you’ll find the right processing.

I would like a TV for showing photos in a medium sized room. Is a TV appropriate at all? Do you have any experiences and recommendations? What to look for?

Thanks!
A TV can work but overall a computer monitor dedicated to displaying images may be easier and less expensive overall with a form factor better suited to most still photos if you stick with historical photo crop aspect ratios.

Also there are some display devices out there marketed as digital picture frames where you can load images onto them or plug a USB memory stick into them and they'll automatically display images. Many of these are smaller intended for placing on a shelf, table or similar but there are some larger versions suitable for hanging on a wall as well. Try searching for Digital Picture Frame or Digital Photo Display for ideas. If you don't see what you like then a computer display (monitor) and something suitable to store the images and drive the display can work.

I’ll add this. Depends on purpose. I would say if sharing with friends bigger the better. Our travel images or wildlife images are rotated on our 75” TV. Guests love that. What fits in your medium sized room? Up to you. So are these just for you or to share? And tell a story.

I’ll add this. Depends on purpose. I would say if sharing with friends bigger the better. Our travel images or wildlife images are rotated on our 75” TV. Guests love that. What fits in your medium sized room? Up to you. So are these just for you or to share? And tell a story.

Thanks! Yes, the TV is for looking at photos together with guests. I want high picture quality but understand I probably can't get a TV picture as good as on my Eizo computer monitor. But I would like it to be as close as possible.

A TV can work but overall a computer monitor dedicated to displaying images may be easier and less expensive overall with a form factor better suited to most still photos if you stick with historical photo crop aspect ratios.

Also there are some display devices out there marketed as digital picture frames where you can load images onto them or plug a USB memory stick into them and they'll automatically display images. Many of these are smaller intended for placing on a shelf, table or similar but there are some larger versions suitable for hanging on a wall as well. Try searching for Digital Picture Frame or Digital Photo Display for ideas. If you don't see what you like then a computer display (monitor) and something suitable to store the images and drive the display can work.

Thanks! I have a good Eizo monitor for editing, but I would like a much bigger screen to show pictures for a group of friends. When reading about TVs they are all very good.... but of course some are better than others... ... At least I think it has to be an OLED screen.

We use our 65" 4K OLED display and it works exceedingly well at upscaling lower resolution images from our NAS on the screen. The OLED displays provide blacker blacks and can be viewed in a brighter room with no noticable degradation of the picture. As we have the TV already in place it works for us and no need for additional displays.

We use our 65" 4K OLED display and it works exceedingly well at upscaling lower resolution images from our NAS on the screen. The OLED displays provide blacker blacks and can be viewed in a brighter room with no noticable degradation of the picture. As we have the TV already in place it works for us and no need for additional displays.
Interesting, thanks! Do I understand it correct, can the TV itself upscale a lower resolution image to cover the full screen vertical if I put in an USB stick with pictures? Can you get the parts of the screen that's not covered by the picture to be black? Which TV model do you use? I am thinking of getting an LG 65" OLED C2 .

The upscaling can be done by a DVD drive, a video receiver, or the TV. With our LG 4K television the upscaling works very well for still images. Where is falls down is with 720p video although it is leaps and bounds better than the plasma televisions. Easy to experiment and determine the minimum resolution wanted.

Viewing distance is also a factor and an image may look fine at 8 feet viewing distance but not at shorter distances.

The upscaling can be done by a DVD drive, a video receiver, or the TV. With our LG 4K television the upscaling works very well for still images. Where is falls down is with 720p video although it is leaps and bounds better than the plasma televisions. Easy to experiment and determine the minimum resolution wanted.

Viewing distance is also a factor and an image may look fine at 8 feet viewing distance but not at shorter distances.
Now I have read more about TVs as Monitors and for Photos. There seems to be a risk for burn-in with OLED screens and therefor maybe a Neo QLED is a better choice. A Samsung 75" QN95B 4K Neo QLED ???

Back