Best Walking Around Lens

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Anjin San

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Ok, I realize that's a wide open question and the answer is "it depends" but just looking to generate some thoughts for myself. My normal lens for this has been the Z 24-70/f4 which came with my Z7II but that was mostly supplanted by the 24-120/f4 unless weight was really important. However…at f4 neither of these is really good for street photography or low light or situations where shallow DoF is a nice thing to have. So…I'm considering adding a faster prime for this sort of situation. While f1.2 is better than f1.4 for DoF issues…the weight and size for me make the extra 1/3 of a stop not worth it. So…thinking of either the 35/1.4 or 50/1.4…and wondered which would be more useful for this sort of single lens/body walk around I'm OK with foot zooming if needed use. One thing I am going to do is try a couple outings and shoot just at 35 and 50 to see what seems to suit better but wondered what others might have concluded.

Have you analyzed the shots you have taken with the 24-120? What focal length is your most used focal length?

Years ago when I had the 24-120, I found most of my shots were at 85. YMMV.........

Have you analyzed the shots you have taken with the 24-120? What focal length is your most used focal length?

Years ago when I had the 24-120, I found most of my shots were at 85. YMMV.........
That's on my list of things to do…the problem is that I haven't done as much of that sort of shooting as one might think. Perhaps I'm overthinking things and the relatively limited number of 24-120 shots in my catalog…maybe it's just telling me I don't shoot that way and save the money and just use my iPhone.

That's on my list of things to do…the problem is that I haven't done as much of that sort of shooting as one might think. Perhaps I'm overthinking things and the relatively limited number of 24-120 shots in my catalog…maybe it's just telling me I don't shoot that way and save the money and just use my iPhone.
Maybe approach the question differently. What specific subjects do you want to shoot in what situations? Close up street shots or street shots where you are a bit further away from the subject? Low light.....people in interiors (cafes, bars, etc) , portraits, people on the streets or ?

Try to identify the need first.....

I’d suggests starting with what you’re trying to accomplish and work backwards. I’ve seen street photography done with fisheye to people playing with 600mm lenses. Thing is, we don’t all see things in a similar manner so there isn’t a best lens really.

And it may be that a smartphone works better for you. It would for me for casual walk around shots. It’s also because I do not care for still life and certain street scenes.

Back