Best way to sell/trade DSLR camera(s)

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Abinoone

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Greetings,
I've resisted the siren call of Nikon mirrorless cameras for longer than perhaps I should, but I think the time finally has come for me to bite the bullet and trade my tried and true Nikon D850s for Z8s or Z9s. The question is how best to accomplish this.

I noted with great interest Nikon's trade program, whereby they're offering $990 for my D850, plus a $200 discount on the Z8, which seems attractive. I also got an online quote of $1125 for the same camera from MPB, but I've heard that often they "downgrade" the quote after examination, so I'm not sure how much confidence to have in their estimate. Of course, there's always the possibility of trying to sell the camera independently, but honestly I'd rather work with a reputable firm than deal with the hassle of would be buyers.

I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on the options, especially if you've had experience with Nikon's trade-in program, and/or selling through MPB (or KEH).

Greetings,
I've resisted the siren call of Nikon mirrorless cameras for longer than perhaps I should, but I think the time finally has come for me to bite the bullet and trade my tried and true Nikon D850s for Z8s or Z9s. The question is how best to accomplish this.

I noted with great interest Nikon's trade program, whereby they're offering $990 for my D850, plus a $200 discount on the Z8, which seems attractive. I also got an online quote of $1125 for the same camera from MPB, but I've heard that often they "downgrade" the quote after examination, so I'm not sure how much confidence to have in their estimate. Of course, there's always the possibility of trying to sell the camera independently, but honestly I'd rather work with a reputable firm than deal with the hassle of would be buyers.

I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on the options, especially if you've had experience with Nikon's trade-in program, and/or selling through MPB (or KEH).
Never had equipment downgraded by MPB and had it upgraded a couple of times.

I have sold gear either here, FB market place and FB groups for camera gear sales. If you don't want the hassle I would see if MPB, KEH or Roberts would give you the most. Depending on where you buy it possible a trade as well. But for the most money sell it direct to a buyer.

Greetings,

I"ve sold gear to KEH and MPB and bought gear through the Nikon trade-in program. I've had good experiences with all three. KEH has usually offered the highest trade in value, but MPB wasn't usually far behind. MPB has always upgraded its offers after receiving my gear, but there's always the option of having them return the equipment if there's a downgrade. The Nikon trade in program requires the least effort and time if you're selling gear to help fund something new.

I find I can get most for my equipment selling it on Facebook Marketplace. It requires extra effort but I get more than from a used camera company. At least have a look at your local one to see what others are asking for the same equipment. I have also got some great bargains buying used Z lenses and cameras there, in like new condition with little use.

I have sold equipment via local camera clubs, to Used Photo Pro (Roberts) a number times, one or twice to Adorama but never again, on Ebay but fees kill you, Fred Miranda which is similar to selling here but much larger audience.

I check UPP and MPB vs Fred Miranda (and ebay). If the stores are close, I will go there. Less bother.

When I upgraded to a Z8 last year I knew it was time to sell all my old DX gear. I had 4 bodies (3 Nikon, 1Fuji) and 8 lenses among 3 brands. I compared online quotes between MPB and KEH. Overall they were within a couple hundred dollars based on my estimation of condition. Since KEH actually had a local buyer who made buys at local camera shops I decided to pack it all up and take it to a buying event. I wasn’t bashful about rating much of my gear quite high. The buyer reviewed all my gear and wrote me a check for almost $3,000 based on my exact condition evaluation. I couldn’t be happier with how easy it went.

I have used FredMiranda, KEH, and MPB. I don't find FredMiranda to be much of a hassle but you do need a presence there. If you don't have any feedback, buyers are reluctant to purchase. Can't blame them these days. When I switched to Sony from Nikon (and had to sell my beloved trio, 850, D5 and D500, I went through MPB. My experience with MPB was good and I was given the quote offered initially. They don't ask about number of clicks and they also dont list clicks when you are purchasing from them. A private sale will always ask about this and buyers always want low numbers.

Last edited:
I always list gear to sell here and on NikonCafe first. I'd rather deal with "friends" I "know" and trust. ;)

If the item doesn't sell here or on NikonCafe, I will list on FM where I have established a very positive reputation even though I am not active on that website.

As a last resort, I consider companies that make their money by buying gear at a low enough price that they can re-sell it for more money.

I have sold equipment via local camera clubs, to Used Photo Pro (Roberts) a number times, one or twice to Adorama but never again, on Ebay but fees kill you, Fred Miranda which is similar to selling here but much larger audience.

I check UPP and MPB vs Fred Miranda (and ebay). If the stores are close, I will go there. Less bother.
Ebay charges about 19%. Shipping is discounted to you.

Adorama tried to pull the 16x20 developing tray scam on me a couple years ago. I would never use them for anything.

Like Karen, I try to offer premium items to friends at good prices. The price ends up being $100-200 higher than what I might get through KEH or MPB, but $200-400 below the selling price to the buyer from those companies. So a D850 might go for $1150-1300 sold to an individual I know through BCG or Nikonians - and if they sell it down the road to KEH or MPB they have a good entry point and modest cost.

I still have the option of selling to KEH or MPB if the item does not sell within a few weeks. My experience is KEH is more likely than MPB, Hunt's, or Roberts (Used Photo Pro) to downgrade an item after the initial estimate. They do a little better in person. You have to be willing to take the item back if they don't give you a reasonable price.

MPB or B&H..ypu will get a few more bucks selling here or eBay or whatever…but outside of here there are lots of scammers on the other platforms and it’s more work. Me…I use those two commercial outlets because getting top dollar isn’t as important to me as convenience and assurance of no ripoffs. Tis a trade off though…and I would sell through here (or at least give it a whirl).

Those resellers only give 50% of what you can get selling yourself. I have sold tens of thouands of dollars worth of photo gear over the past 20 years on Craigs List. Never had a bad experince. Only accept cash and sell in person.

Those resellers only give 50% of what you can get selling yourself. I have sold tens of thouands of dollars worth of photo gear over the past 20 years on Craigs List. Never had a bad experince. Only accept cash and sell in person.
That works if you live in an area with a large pot of potential customers. Unfortunately many of us live in more rural areas or places with few potential customers.

Reactions: xxx
I've sold gear online here once and to a photographer guide I have traveled with on occasion. I've sold several pieces to a young photographer just learning about photography and always at a very reduced price. I still have gear that needs to be sold, it's on my "to-do" list."

Back