Best Wide Angle for Astrophotogaphy

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Pat Cassity

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I am going on a trip in May and will be shooting the Milky Way. I currently own the Nikon z 20mm f1.8. It's a great lens for astrophotography but I often find it's just not quite wide enough for Milky Way shots. I have thought about selling it and purchasing the z 14-24 f2.8. I would be interested in hearing from those of you that have used the 14-24 for astrophotography. Also if you are using something else, I like to hear from you also. Thanks!

+1 on the Samyang/Rokinon XP 14mm f/2.4. It's a very good lens for wide field astro work. It also has true mechanical manual focus which is a plus for Milky Way and similar work as you can set focus manually, tape it in place with some gaffer's tape and not worry at all about focusing while out in the dark. The electronic focusing lens with an electrically coupled manual focus ring aren't quite so night friendly if you bump the focus you have to pick a bright star or planet and start over.

As for camera, shoot what you have but something like a D850 Z6, Z7(I or II versions), Zf, Z8 or Z9 would all be great choices for wide field astro work.

+1 on the Samyang/Rokinon XP 14mm f/2.4. It's a very good lens for wide field astro work. It also has true mechanical manual focus which is a plus for Milky Way and similar work as you can set focus manually, tape it in place with some gaffer's tape and not worry at all about focusing while out in the dark. The electronic focusing lens with an electrically coupled manual focus ring aren't quite so night friendly if you bump the focus you have to pick a bright star or planet and start over.

As for camera, shoot what you have but something like a D850 Z6, Z7(I or II versions), Zf, Z8 or Z9 would all be great choices for wide field astro work.

DR, thanks! No issues with using it the adapter on the z8 or 9?

I am going on a trip in May and will be shooting the Milky Way. I currently own the Nikon z 20mm f1.8. It's a great lens for astrophotography but I often find it's just not quite wide enough for Milky Way shots. I have thought about selling it and purchasing the z 14-24 f2.8. I would be interested in hearing from those of you that have used the 14-24 for astrophotography. Also if you are using something else, I like to hear from you also. Thanks!
If you have a sturdy tripod adding a tracking head is the better way to go to increase exposure times without star trails in the pictures. They can be used with lenses up to 120mmin length and provide images of more distant subjects.

The 14-24mm is also good but more worries about CA and astigmatism than with the Samyang/Rokinon prime lenses. The Rokinon Z mount 14mm f/2.8 lens sells at BH Photo for only $370. There is also the z-mount Laowa 15mm f/2 lens at $649 that is sharper but naturally more expensive.

My manual focus Samyang 14mm f2.8 works well and was dirt cheap! Got mine used for a song.

No astro shot to show, but I like this one:

ENTER IF YOU DARE by Graham Owen.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I have the Nikon Z 14-24 rented for a trip in July. Still waiting for Nikon or Sigma to release a very fast 14 mm prime in Z mount, not sure why they are dragging their feet on this, there is definitely a huge demand for it.

I have the Nikon Z 14-24 rented for a trip in July. Still waiting for Nikon or Sigma to release a very fast 14 mm prime in Z mount, not sure why they are dragging their feet on this, there is definitely a huge demand for it.

My Z mount Samyang 14mm f2.8 is not at all bad and it only cost 230 GBP used. Manual focus of course, but for astro you are probably focusing manually anyway.

I think the Sony E Mount Sigma 14mm F1.4 is probably the best wide angle astro lens, bar none.

After that, Sony E amount 14mm F1.8, Nikon Z mount 20mm f1.8, etc.

the 14-24 is pretty slow, so while it could be used for astro in a pinch - it's not designed for astro specifically

I think the Sony E Mount Sigma 14mm F1.4 is probably the best wide angle astro lens, bar none.

After that, Sony E amount 14mm F1.8, Nikon Z mount 20mm f1.8, etc.

the 14-24 is pretty slow, so while it could be used for astro in a pinch - it's not designed for astro specifically

The 20mm 1.8 isn't wide enough for me. Not interested in adapting Sony lenses. The 14-24 is f2.8, which isn't ideal but it's fast enough, especially since I primarily use a tracker whenever possible. I use to use my Tamron 15-30mm f2.8 on my D750 with good results. I just don't understand why Nikon is completely neglecting a fast ultra wide prime for full frame.

The 20mm 1.8 isn't wide enough for me. Not interested in adapting Sony lenses. The 14-24 is f2.8, which isn't ideal but it's fast enough, especially since I primarily use a tracker whenever possible. I use to use my Tamron 15-30mm f2.8 on my D750 with good results. I just don't understand why Nikon is completely neglecting a fast ultra wide prime for full frame.

I'm sure they'll come out with one eventually. fast wide angles are not huge money makers for any of the main brands so it makes sense they'd be last to drop.

Not sure why you're against adapting to Sony though. it works flawlessly and opens up an entire world of options for your Nikon setup:)

Back