If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I know. I should have got closer. Photo taken yesterday, April 4th at Donnelley WMA, South Carolina.

SD-_DSC7794-Softness.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Last edited:
What the heck? Big yawn or threatening?
Living in Florida, I've learned a few things about these guys. They hold their mouths open for extended periods of time to regulate/cool their body temperature. It's a reptile thing. Even though it's not threatening, it's always best to keep a safe distance ... or be with someone slower than you. ;)

Living in Florida, I've learned a few things about these guys. They hold their mouths open for extended periods of time to regulate/cool their body temperature. It's a reptile thing. Even though it's not threatening, it's always best to keep a safe distance ... or be with someone slower than you. ;)
Here in South Carolina I think it’s a bit cooler than FL. I see these guys all the time - there are a couple living in the lagoon behind my house - but I very rarely see them with their mouths open. It certainly makes sense though that they’d do this to cool off.

And, as to your last point, it was OK, I had my wife with me. 😉

Thanks for your info.