If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

What should I do to improve this image? D500, 500mm pf, 1/1000 @f/8, ISO 6400.
D19-12-396-Edit.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

What should I do to improve this image?
The image certainly works just as it is, great group portrait of some stunning rams. Nice job holding enough DOF for the whole group.

I tend to add a subtle vignette to most of my images, especially if I'll print, matte and frame them. It tends to help hold the viewers eye a bit especially when there's a white or bright matte that might draw the attention out of the frame. That's something you might play with but ideally it will be very subtle and hard for the viewer to notice. You might also play with a bit of highlight reduction either using the Highlight slider in LR or Camera RAW or in PS by duping a layer, using the Shadow/Highlights tool on that layer to get close (or go a bit overboard) and then adjust the layer's opacity to tune it to taste. I'm thinking about possibly bringing out a bit more fur detail in some of the highlight areas for instance that fourth ram back. Some very gentle selective burning in those areas would be another approach to try. Similarly you might play with some very gentle contrast adjustments (e.g. Clarity in Lightroom or ACR) to really make those horns pop.

But realistically the image works just like you've posted it. I don't think it really 'needs' anything and in general there's more risk of overprocessing well shot images rather than underprocessing them but if you want to explore creative possibilities or build skills you might use in other images those are things you might play with.

The image certainly works just as it is, great group portrait of some stunning rams. Nice job holding enough DOF for the whole group.

I tend to add a subtle vignette to most of my images, especially if I'll print, matte and frame them. It tends to help hold the viewers eye a bit especially when there's a white or bright matte that might draw the attention out of the frame. That's something you might play with but ideally it will be very subtle and hard for the viewer to notice. You might also play with a bit of highlight reduction either using the Highlight slider in LR or Camera RAW or in PS by duping a layer, using the Shadow/Highlights tool on that layer to get close (or go a bit overboard) and then adjust the layer's opacity to tune it to taste. I'm thinking about possibly bringing out a bit more fur detail in some of the highlight areas for instance that fourth ram back. Some very gentle selective burning in those areas would be another approach to try. Similarly you might play with some very gentle contrast adjustments (e.g. Clarity in Lightroom or ACR) to really make those horns pop.

But realistically the image works just like you've posted it. I don't think it really 'needs' anything and in general there's more risk of overprocessing well shot images rather than underprocessing them but if you want to explore creative possibilities or build skills you might use in other images those are things you might play with.
Thank you. Those are very good suggestions. I will try them to see how it looks.

Wonderful shot. Hopefully I will get one like that some day. I agree with all of the recommendations in the first post for improvements. Improvements are easier when you start with a great composition!

As mentioned, a very pleasing and striking image. You may : Select the subject on new layer. Fill content aware subject space on layer below. Apply Gaussian blur to layer, then mask and fade BG bushes, thus popping out the sheep. Working in layers and masking pops the image from the BG.

I have edited my photo using some of the suggestions listed above. I added some clarity, reduced yellow, increased vignette, and reduced highlights.
D19-12-396-Edit-2.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.