Bird ID please

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Bohdan

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Don't get many hawks in the yard....actually this is probably my first...so I would like to know what kind of hawk if you can help me out. I'm guessing, after checking bird books that its a sharp shinned?
Not a good image it's just for purposes of referencing the presence of a hawk in my yard 2024. and in early morning light without checking settings, I got this at 36,000 ISO
Hawk at feeder tree Z6 1900.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Could be a red tail but FWIW, I use Merlin ID on my phone and just take a picture of the screen. Usually works. I don't know your location otherwise I would do that.
I use the Merlin app app on my phone. Usually to recognize bird songs didn't think of taking a picture of the screen to identify. Thanks for the tip.

Look like an immature, Red-shouldered Hawk. Where was this photo taken?
Hard to tell in the early morning late. Took this in my yard thunder Bay Ontario as I was brushing my teeth.

Don't get many hawks in the yard....actually this is probably my first...so I would like to know what kind of hawk if you can help me out. I'm guessing, after checking bird books that its a sharp shinned?
Not a good image it's just for purposes of referencing the presence of a hawk in my yard 2024. and in early morning light without checking settings, I got this at 36,000 ISO
View attachment 96025
I think it is an immature Cooper’s hawk.

Back