Bird photography options on the Connecticut Shoreline

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I'll be in Connecticut this weekend visiting family and would love some recommendations for good bird photography locations. I grew up there but that was long before I got in to birding and bird photography. I'm well aware that Hammonasset Beach SP is a great venue, but it doesn't open until 8 AM. It could still be an option if it's overcast. I'd prefer to stick to areas just east of New Haven to minimize driving time. I'm thinking of maybe some lesser known places like local boat launches near open saltwater marsh areas, but if anybody knows of any other locations that would be great!

I'll be in Connecticut this weekend visiting family and would love some recommendations for good bird photography locations. I grew up there but that was long before I got in to birding and bird photography. I'm well aware that Hammonasset Beach SP is a great venue, but it doesn't open until 8 AM. It could still be an option if it's overcast. I'd prefer to stick to areas just east of New Haven to minimize driving time. I'm thinking of maybe some lesser known places like local boat launches near open saltwater marsh areas, but if anybody knows of any other locations that would be great!
I think Rocky Neck State Park, about a 40 min drive on I-95 from New Haven, is your best bet, although traffic on Labor Day Weekend probably will be brutal. Lots of Osprey and a nice viewing platform at the salt marsh. Better than than Hammonassett.
see Tony Northrup’s website, too.

Back