Bird Photography setups and hides

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hello! Do you use setups or hides in bird photograph;y? If you do, you can share when do you use it, the photos of the setup and how do you put the sticks and the branches. Thanks in advace, Nick
Hi Nick, I occasionally use a portable photo blind to photograph elusive species like the Common Kingfisher or the White-throated Dipper. I also sometimes use the blind in my garden to shoot small passerines like different species of Tits or sparrows. A good setup would be to have feeders in your garden and put clean branches close to them where the birds can sit before they go to the feeders. For more general photography, shooting from a car also helps a lot, especially in Greece I have found. Last week I managed to approach Bee-Eaters to 2 meters only by staying inside the car and slowly moving towards them...

Attachments

• 20240528_011334.jpg
    20240528_011334.jpg
    657.2 KB · Views: 45
I have a pop up blind (Tragopan) but I've not been anywhere in a couple of years now that wouldn't bring me hassle if I set it up. So as with Woody, above, I dress in camo, including throwing gillie 'blankets over me and camera. Works like a charm and has the entertaining benefit when I'm also in underbrush of scaring the hell out of hikers when I speak to them as they go buy and they have missed me :)

I have a pop up blind (Tragopan) but I've not been anywhere in a couple of years now that wouldn't bring me hassle if I set it up. So as with Woody, above, I dress in camo, including throwing gillie 'blankets over me and camera. Works like a charm and has the entertaining benefit when I'm also in underbrush of scaring the hell out of hikers when I speak to them as they go buy and they have miss
Thanks ssheipel :)

Hello! Do you use setups or hides in bird photograph;y? If you do, you can share when do you use it, the photos of the setup and how do you put the sticks and the branches. Thanks in advace, Nick
Hi Nick,
I use both blinds and setups for bird photography but I'm presently in a situation where I can't post any photos. My primary blind is a Tragopan V6, which I find to be well designed and made, and comfortable. Well placed blinds are essential for skittish species, such as Kingfishers.

For setups, I try to arrange either or both seasonal and species-typical branches or blooms near my feeders, and will sometimes create small holes in the wood to fill them with meal worms or seeds, depending upon the species I'm trying to attract. For a great discussion about attracting birds, blinds, and setups, you might want to get a copy of Marie Read's wonderful book Mastering the Art of Bird Photograph. She's one of the very best bird photographers in the world, and her book contains a wealth of useful information.

Hi Nick,
I use both blinds and setups for bird photography but I'm presently in a situation where I can't post any photos. My primary blind is a Tragopan V6, which I find to be well designed and made, and comfortable. Well placed blinds are essential for skittish species, such as Kingfishers.

For setups, I try to arrange either or both seasonal and species-typical branches or blooms near my feeders, and will sometimes create small holes in the wood to fill them with meal worms or seeds, depending upon the species I'm trying to attract. For a great discussion about attracting birds, blinds, and setups, you might want to get a copy of Marie Read's wonderful book Mastering the Art of Bird Photograph. She's one of the very best bird photographers in the world, and her book contains a wealth of useful information.
Thank you :)

Hi Nick,

I want to second the recommendation of Marie Read’s book. It’s getting a bit dated in some aspects but all the useful info is still spot on.

Nick, are you thinking of permanent setups in your yard for instance where you setup a temporary blind or more a mobile setup up in the woods for example? In many areas moving water or a water drip is a great attractor to bring birds to your setup. I live in a small woodland surrounded by fields, being on a hill there isn’t any natural water so I made a little waterfall and stream. It’s higher at the back and low on the front so I can see the birds bathing. During Spring and Fall migration I set up a blind in front of the waterfall and photograph the migrants and residents when they come down to drink and bathe. I’m usually out there late April and May but then it just gets too hot to sit in the blind and migration is ending anyway. I use a Tragopan V6 and a Koklass chair which is very low as the blind itself is on the low side.

Here‘s a recent blog post I did after sitting outside in front of the waterfall for a couple of hours. Waterfall Setup

Nick, are you thinking of permanent setups in your yard for instance where you setup a temporary blind or more a mobile setup up in the woods for example? In many areas moving water or a water drip is a great attractor to bring birds to your setup. I live in a small woodland surrounded by fields, being on a hill there isn’t any natural water so I made a little waterfall and stream. It’s higher at the back and low on the front so I can see the birds bathing. During Spring and Fall migration I set up a blind in front of the waterfall and photograph the migrants and residents when they come down to drink and bathe. I’m usually out there late April and May but then it just gets too hot to sit in the blind and migration is ending anyway. I use a Tragopan V6 and a Koklass chair which is very low as the blind itself is on the low side.

Here‘s a recent blog post I did after sitting outside in front of the waterfall for a couple of hours. Waterfall Setup
Thanks! I am interested in building a permanent feeder station where birds will feed on the winter and drink water in the summer. I may post a thread about feeders, bird food and setups.

Wow! These are crazy good. Great idea with the waterfall/stream.

Wow! These are crazy good. Great idea with the waterfall/stream.
Thanks. I don’t have a great deal of time to play at photographer so I try to bring the birds to me rather than walking around trying to find them. By using setups I can make the best use of my time. Some days it gets a bit hectic with all the birds in front of me. Here’s a blog post from mid May a couple of years ago. Warblers

Back