If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Kjellis

I was shooting some birds at our cabin as the sun sets tonight, the light was really nice.
usually I would have used my 600/4 TC for this kind of photography, but for fun I forced my self to use the 100-400.
Z91_8125-Forbedret-NR-1.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Z91_8152-Forbedret-NR-1.jpeg

Z91_7718-Forbedret-NR-1.jpeg

That is a very nice set of images. I've been considering if I should acquire this lens, and these images certainly put a positive spin on it.

Nice set. Must be nice to have a cabin with birds like this around. In Chicago burbs, I see robins, cardinals and the occasional jay

Amazing details on these. With a lower magnification ratio and a longer minimum focus distance of the 600mm, wouldn't it be a tad easier to photograph such small subjects with zoom than with the 600mm prime?

Very nice set.

You've inspired me to try the same. For birds I usually use my 400 f4.5 with a 1.4 TC, but will try the 100-400 instead one of these days. :)
Thank you!

I think it‘s great to give my self such limitations from time to time, it forces me to be more creative 😊

Nice set. Must be nice to have a cabin with birds like this around. In Chicago burbs, I see robins, cardinals and the occasional jay
Thank you! It’s great having this cabin with the wildlife so close. These are pretty common birds here, but the light was beautiful.

Last edited:
Amazing details on these. With a lower magnification ratio and a longer minimum focus distance of the 600mm, wouldn't it be a tad easier to photograph such small subjects with zoom than with the 600mm prime?
Good question! the zoom did a good job, but my 600mm is my go to for this kind of photography. I reckon I will think twice on what to use going forward though.