Birds at the Beach

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

BarkingBeans Coffee

Michael H
Supporting Member
Marketplace
Ok I am very new, like two times, to shooting birds at the beach. I was just in Santa Barbara and La Jolla Cove. My question for this thread is how does one deal with the harsh light of the sun. Even pelicans with Highlight weighted metering had whites blown on the beaks and elsewhere. Is the answer come another day? I feel if I had compensated even more the shadows would be so dark. I did manage what I thought were some decent shots. Looking for coaching though.

Shy Pelican

In Flight
Peligan-first-light.jpg

Couple of Gulls - one coming in to the Cove and the other posing on the SB beach
seagull-landing.jpg

Poser-Seagull.jpg

An early morning Whimbrel
Long-Billed-Curlew.jpg

And one no bird but enjoyed the action
fishing.jpg

Last edited:
From these shots I'd say you've dealt with the full sun very, very well.! Me, I usually stop shooting once the sun gets too high in the sky :)

From these shots I'd say you've dealt with the full sun very, very well.! Me, I usually stop shooting once the sun gets too high in the sky :)
So you feel that full sun is just too bright to be worth the effort? These were out of quite a few images. Most had some form of blown highlights even if I got the composition and focus correct.

I quite like the composition of the first photo, and everything technically looks spot on. Nice!

The second photo is nice, but I really wish you hadn’t clipped the wingtips. It takes away from the photo IMO.

The gulls are really nice, but for the second one I’d have the bird more left in the frame.

Your whimbrel is actually a Long-billed Curlew. Really nice shot, although I wish there was more eye contact.

I quite like the composition of the first photo, and everything technically looks spot on. Nice!

The second photo is nice, but I really wish you hadn’t clipped the wingtips. It takes away from the photo IMO.

The gulls are really nice, but for the second one I’d have the bird more left in the frame.

Your whimbrel is actually a Long-billed Curlew. Really nice shot, although I wish there was more eye contact.
Thanks,

I will look at these suggestions.
Yes I thought the same on the clipped wings but as I worked it I thought well it makes it look like a close fly by. I‘ll look at where my zoom was, and it was a good learning experience.
On the Whimbrel/Long Billed, I thought the same as you but my birder friend said the bill was too short and it was a young Whimbrel. So not sure now.

Thanks for looking.

Thanks,

I will look at these suggestions.
Yes I thought the same on the clipped wings but as I worked it I thought well it makes it look like a close fly by. I‘ll look at where my zoom was, and it was a good learning experience.
On the Whimbrel/Long Billed, I thought the same as you but my birder friend said the bill was too short and it was a young Whimbrel. So not sure now.

Thanks for looking.
100% a curlew. The facial pattern is nowhere near strong enough for a whimbrel, among other things. Bill length is too long for a whimbrel also. It appears shorter because of the angle.

Back