Birds in action

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Callie

Supporting Member
Marketplace
On my website, I have a birds in action category Here are some images. The first is Mexican Stand-off - A Cape Wagtail and a paper wasp shot at Zibulo Collieries, Mpumalanga. D4; 600 f/4 + 1.4 TC; f/7.1; 1/2000, ISO 400
00087-A3W-D4-0343.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

#2 Exploding Drongo - Sitting at the kuMasinga hide at Mkhuze GR, Kwazulu/Natal, I was shooting this Forked-tailed Drongo when he suddenly exploded off his perch to snatch the the flying insect. D4; 600 f/4 +1.4 TC; f/7.1; 1/6400; ISO 1000, -
00338 12X8W D4 7733.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
07 EV

What a great series. I really love the Southern Carmine Bee Eater and the Mexican Standoff images but they're all super strong photos!

Callie love that bee eater just about to catch the bee, Awesome, this reminds me of Cyprus two or three years back. My wife and i were on holiday we had been spoilt by a wealthy relative, he rented a villa for us . I had a d7200 with me fitted with an ancient sigma 70-200mm , I used to wonder around when my wife was sun bathing (yawn) hate that! The Bee Eaters were migrating from where ever? But i drove myself mad for about three days trying to get one of these in flight. God knows how but I managed it but boy was I happy to get the minute cropped to death Bee eater! I don't need to add my wife extremely unimpressed LOL Situation normal! Sorry about the stories . I love that image, impressive (y)

. My wife and i were on holiday we had been spoilt by a wealthy relative, he rented a villa for us .
Stevie - I can do with such a relative :giggle: :giggle:! That is how we get to go to OZ, visit the kids and my wife and I explore all the bird friendly places we can get to.

Callie
What focus mode do you typically use for shots like that?
Ralph I am not all that clued up on all the terminology. I tend to set-up my bodies and seldom change anything. I always shoot continuous high. I used to shoot aperture priority, mostly f/7.1 and that is still the aperture I use most of the time for action. I also used to shoot a lot ISO 640. I have used back button focusing long before I stumbled across Steve's wonderful site. Since reading his books, I only shoot auto ISO 100/50, depends on the body, and manual. My go-to f-stop is still f/7.1 and my SS at least double the focal length of the lens. My max ISO is 3200, although I have gone as far as ISO 6400 on one trip and still usable images. My cameras are both set up for single focus, or 9 point, 25 point - I do not really change these - I have group area focus set on the round dial below the BF button. I use this sometimes for BIF if the sky is clear. Most times, I use the single focus point or 9 points, very much like Steve explains in his books. As said, I figured this out many years ago as BIF is my passion and by far the largest amount of my images are BIF - been trying 20 years now.
I also shoot a lot handheld and panning. Since I sold my 600 f/4 to get the 500 PF, I have never looked back and get more usable images - It could be that the muscle memory finally kicked in after so many years. Two very important things for bird photography, for me, and this goes for other critters too - know your subject, anticipate it moves, understand its behavior, and you can nail the shot. As said, I have tried for years, and large birds are getting there at take of and landing but it is the pocket rockets that still mocks me. I have managed to follow KF's into and out of the water a few times, but it is still a challenge and will always be. The second is to shoot immediately to get a few frames into the bag, then check your screen and adjust the SS or Aperture to suit, if possible.
Sometimes, a shooting session can go on for 30 minites or more - the same subject like cats eating - check the screen regularly as the light changes quite a lot, especially early in the mornig and late afternoon. You cannot shoot at the same SS, EV and apeture as the light changes to bright or towards dark, you have to continiually check and adjust.
I also shoot a lot at -0,7 EV. For insects, I go down to -2,7 or -3 EV. But the main thing is - if you are not at the right place, and the subject does not pitch and the light sucks, you cannot get an image, mo matter the equipment. So patience, I have sat many hours in many hides, waiting, getting nothing. But if you snooze, you loose - I have seen it time after time with others with me, if you are not on the watch, may not get the image, and even if you are awake, you may still not get it because the autofoacus does not want to pick-up. Hope this helps.

Callie
Thank you very much for that in depth explanation. I have over the last year or so been more comfortable with single point focus and I have come to the conclusion these last couple of days while shooting Hummers that I get my best results with single focus point or 9 point equivalent. Not really comfortable with group yet. I have only had my DSLR D500 a little over a year. It is my first DSLR and I am learning a lot. You have all emphasized over and over to just get out there and shoot and that’s what I am trying to do. I really appreciate the time and thought you put into your explanation. It will be extremely helpful. Everyone on this site have been great and willing to share. I don’t do social media so It’s my first experience with a site like this. One last question . Is your go to metering mode”matrix metering”. I seem to have the best luck with that.

Back