Birds in focus

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

JAS

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Recently someone posted shots on how to get two birds in focus at the same time. I searched my photos and found this set from 2018. Shot at the Horican NWR in Wisconsin. The swallows were on the rope. for a bit. I was able to capture shots with each bird in fous then marge the two in PS with making and a bit of work. Not perfect, but a good try. Shared for the heck of it. Shot 1 combined, 2 and 3 the separate bird shots.
Swallows_02.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Swallows_01.jpg

Swallows_03.jpg

Very well done, Joe! The only thing that gives it away for me is the slight OOF rope between the birds. But if you hadn't told us and only posted that one photo, I don't think anyone would've noticed!

Very well done, Joe! The only thing that gives it away for me is the slight OOF rope between the birds. But if you hadn't told us and only posted that one photo, I don't think anyone would've noticed!
Thank you. Yes, I tried this just for the fun of it. It worked better than expected, but is not perfect.

Just because you put it in for critique and you told us what you did behind the curtain I notice a few artifacts. Not saying I could do better. In the composite the sharp bird farther away has a blurry tail. Also the right upper of the front bird has some blurry feathers. Around the head of the farther bird is an artifact of the blending. Again just things from knowing to look for them.

Last edited:
Reactions: JAS
Just because you put it in for critique and you told us what you did behind the curtain I notice a few artifacts. Not saying I could do better. In the composite the sharp bird farther away has a blurry tail. Also the right upper of the front bird has some blurry feathers. Around the head of the farther bird is an artifact of the blending. Again just things from knowing to look for them.
Agree with your critique. Based om the feedback, and that I did this a couple of years ag, I may try to merge them again to a better outcome. Thank you for taking the time to comment.

You could probably just erase that blurry tail bit, and the rest could just be some hand work with black and white brushes in the layer mask.

Reactions: JAS
Back