Bison calf on the move....he was quick!

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Viathelens

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I am a fan of baby bison. They are just so cute, even though they grow into such huge and sometimes ugly and sometimes handsome animals. This little guy was tearing around this meadow and in some of the shots he is either on one foot or all four feet are in the air...who knew they could be that fast and that nimble. The light was perfect for the shot. Slough Creek Road, Yellowstone NP. Sorry for posting so many but there was just too many to choose from, it was a little like a baby bison ballet...I have a lot more as he ran for quite awhile. Nikon Z9, Nikon 500PF.
CCassinetto-2410.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
CCassinetto-2411.jpg
CCassinetto-2412.jpg
CCassinetto-2423.jpg
CCassinetto-2427.jpg
CCassinetto-2428.jpg
CCassinetto-2429.jpg

They are awfully cute. Nicely captured. I recall reading that early still photography settled a long standing debate about whether all four feet come off the ground at the same time when horses run.

They are awfully cute. Nicely captured. I recall reading that early still photography settled a long standing debate about whether all four feet come off the ground at the same time when horses run.

That is correct. Without looking up the person I cannot recall his name, but he did extensive experiments to determine that all four feet of the horse left the ground at the same time...was not aware that applied to baby bison as well! :)

That is correct. Without looking up the person I cannot recall his name, but he did extensive experiments to determine that all four feet of the horse left the ground at the same time...was not aware that applied to baby bison as well! :)
I think it applies to most/all four legged critters that run with a galloping motion. I've shot photos of dogs, foxes, and bears with all fours off the ground.

Back