If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Rassie

Supporting Member
Marketplace
.....Warbler, that is.
It's a great ambition of mine to still get a close enough unobstructed view of one of these cuties. It has been a challenge so far.

NZ8_2558.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Beautiful little thing and photo. There is always photoshoppe.. :D
Thanks, Elsa. Until I'm too infirm to go out with the camera anymore I'll keep trying to get better shots in the field. When I eventually have to hang up the camera is when I'll have to improve my Photoshop skills by orders of magnitude to start turning my many sow's ears into silk purses. :)

I could easily have spent another half-hour at this spot working with the bird, but it's not so easy when you have family members with you who want to move on.

Thanks, Elsa. Until I'm too infirm to go out with the camera anymore I'll keep trying to get better shots in the field. When I eventually have to hang up the camera is when I'll have to improve my Photoshop skills by orders of magnitude to start turning my many sow's ears into silk purses. :)

I could easily have spent another half-hour at this spot working with the bird, but it's not so easy when you have family members with you who want to move on.
By the time you hang up your camera - you may also be slightly "slow" in learning new skills - trust me - it's hard enough now!

I have no problem with the branches - just commented cause you were moaning about the un-obstructive view :)

Thanks, Callie. Audubon lists 49 warbler species in North America, many of them occurring here in Canada as well. It's one of my goals to get good images of as many of them as I can. But man, it's challenging - they don't sit still for a minute!
Ok I realize I'm not Callie but I figured I'd chime in. They're tough, especially during migration when all they want to do is eat and fuel up for the next leg of their journey. They can actually be motionless for fractions of a second as they flit around, so I tend to shoot in short bursts while I can keep them in the frame! Also, if you can get one that's swallowing some food I noticed they tend to stay still for a few seconds afterward before they move on to the next snack. Or even better, if you can get one singing on a perch (preferably on their breeding territory where they'll be feeding/singing in the same place) you'll have tons of chances, but easier said than done! It would be amazing to photograph all 49 species. I think I've photographed close to 30 species but more than half are just documentation photos or photos of females/immatures taken in their drab fall colors. I might start a post with all the wood warblers I've taken photos of if I can find the time. Hope to see more of these little guys from you and others here!

By the time you hang up your camera - you may also be slightly "slow" in learning new skills - trust me - it's hard enough now!

I have no problem with the branches - just commented cause you were moaning about the un-obstructive view :)
You're right, of course. I do worry that when I'm too weak to hold the camera I may very well not be able to physically and mentally manipulate the computer and Photoshop properly anymore either. That thick OOF foreground branch to the right of the bird is what would prevent me from printing the image and hanging it on a wall. And I don't currently have the Photoshop skills to remove it in such a way that it doesn't show obvious editing. Goodness, even the British Royals with all their resources cannot get it right! :ROFLMAO:

Thanks, Callie. Audubon lists 49 warbler species in North America, many of them occurring here in Canada as well. It's one of my goals to get good images of as many of them as I can. But man, it's challenging - they don't sit still for a minute!
Like LBJ's here, Koos - we have plenty of them. I am happy if I know it is a lark or Cisticola or wren

I might start a post with all the wood warblers I've taken photos of if I can find the time. Hope to see more of these little guys from you and others here!
Please do start that post. After all, you wrote the book on shooting warblers. I will happily contribute as and when I have something worthwhile to post.