Black-backed woodpeckers

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Butlerkid

Staff member
Supporting Member
Marketplace
Nearly synonymous with burned forests over much of its range, the Black-backed Woodpecker specializes on eating big, juicy wood-boring beetle larvae. It is an inky black bird with a sharp white stripe on its black face, fine black barring on the flanks, and, in males, a yellow crown patch. These enterprising birds locate burned forests just weeks to months after a forest fire and then live off the bounty of insects over the next 5 to 8 years. In areas with fewer fires, they may also use bark beetle outbreaks or bogs.

Black-backed, American Three-toed, and Eurasian Three-toed Woodpeckers have only three toes on each foot; all other woodpeckers have four. It’s been suggested that the loss of the fourth toe allows these species to lean farther back and deliver harder blows to the tree, possibly helping them excavate nest holes in harder (and therefore safer) wood.

For these shots I had to carry my tripod+600mm TC as I carefully walked the side of a burned out hill.....walking over and through downed trees with branches everywhere! I really didn't want to trip and drop the 600mm!

Male
_Z825228-Enhanced-NR-X3.jpg

Female
_Z825392-Enhanced-NR-X3.jpg

Last edited:
Beautiful, Karen! And thanks for the lesson. I was at Sax Zim Bog in northern Minnesota earlier this year, I barely got a glimpse of one, unfortunately not close enough for any images. Thanks for sharing!

Beautiful, Karen! And thanks for the lesson. I was at Sax Zim Bog in northern Minnesota earlier this year, I barely got a glimpse of one, unfortunately not close enough for any images. Thanks for sharing!
Thank you, Mike. I've heard of Sax Zim.....but never been there.

If you're ever in northern MN, especially in winter, I recommend a trip. It's about an hour northwest of Duluth, MN. First time there I was lucky enough to see and photograph my first GGO. In fact, that weekend I saw three of them. Summer is supposed to be good for warblers and other smaller birds, as well as different flower species, though I've never been in spring/summer/fall.

Back