Black Bear

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

RockvilleBob

Supporting Member
Marketplace
While staying in the Pisgah National Forest a Black Bear stood up from behind a bush. I was close with a zoom lens on a Pentax camera. This image is only cropped on the left side - this is what I saw in the viewfinder. Fortunately for me it was non-aggressive Black Bear destroying a bird feeder on a rainy day. You can see a seed on his nose. Hunched over he did not look that big, when he stood up I was looking up at him.
bear.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Attachments

• bear.jpg
    bear.jpg
    945.2 KB · Views: 56
While staying in the Pisgah National Forest a Black Bear stood up from behind a bush. I was close with a zoom lens on a Pentax camera. This image is only cropped on the left side - this is what I saw in the viewfinder. Fortunately for me it was non-aggressive Black Bear destroying a bird feeder on a rainy day. You can see a seed on his nose. Hunched over he did not look that big, when he stood up I was looking up at him.
View attachment 49298
Fanatastic image Bob! How was your heart rate after that encounter? 😜👍👍👍

Fanatastic image Bob! How was your heart rate after that encounter? 😜👍👍👍
Thanks Ralph. I was feeling OK until he stood up. I am not sure how tall a Black Bear get but I was looking up at him, guessing he was well over 6 feet. This is one of those shots you always remember taking.

Unless you have a yappy little dog with you it's VERY unusual for black bears to be a threat to humans. Does it happen? Yeah, but you were at a lot more risk driving to the location than from the bear.

Unless you have a yappy little dog with you it's VERY unusual for black bears to be a threat to humans. Does it happen? Yeah, but you were at a lot more risk driving to the location than from the bear.
Good to know Woody. This bear was clearly not aggressive. He seemed happy destroying a feeder and eating seeds. He seemed more curious than upset but I did feel better when we parted ways. :)

Back